Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called home, the Mrs. says we've had rain coming down steady the last 5 hours or so. We haven't had this much rain in the last 2 1/2 months. Yippie. Come on now garden, grow. I believe a nekkid dance in the rain when I get home is called for.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
It's because of me. I left the cushions outside on the swing. First time all summer. Now they're soaked. YEAH!!!!

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Ripple effect of drought. According to yesterday's newspaper TVA says electric rates may go up because they can't generate as much hydroelectric power with lower water levels. Also shipping costs are going up because of low water levels resulting in lighter and longer trips for barges.

My cattle are still in full bloom; however, they aren't overlooking any opportunity for supplemental feed either. Just trying to limp along until the renter harvests the corn and I can turn them out on the stubble.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We had some last night for an hour or so and this morning it was like it never happened. Soil is Dry as a bone and hard as a rock. I'm trying to get posts in for a new pasture for the goats and it's killing me!!!

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
The last two weeks we have had over 7" of rain along with Flash flood warnings. and the last few .Nites we have gotten about 1/20 of a inch per nite. All I can say is we need it. The resivoiur is up but not full.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I work at a marina on Lake Martin which is almost 10ft below normal. It has over 700 miles of shoreline, so it'll take a HUGE amount of rain to bring it back up. :help:

Another few inches and I'll be on unemployment :Bawling:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nothing here either for about 2.5 months. Since we are in *sell house mode* I'm having to water the front lawn in order to keep it green...well, somewhat green anyway. We have lotsa' thunder but it's not dropping anything. My realtor suggested I not do the large veggie garden this year since most folks don't like *that*..either way, I guess she was right. *sigh*

KAT

·
Registered
325 Posts
In the last 56 days it has rained every day except three. And to make it worse, its been raining TWICE every day! Unbelieveable. And at least half of the time they have been real gulley washers. I am not complaining, tho. It hasnt gotten hotter than 90 degrees but a couple of times and usually July is over 100 every day.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
We got a nice rain yesterday afternoon, had been without for about 10-14 days. I'm not complaining, this has been the best growing season I've seen in our 10 years here. The garden just seems to like rain water so much better then tab water.

Hugs,
Marlene

1 - 14 of 14 Posts