Rain Soft System help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jaclynne, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

This summer we bought a repo and have been remodeling. We are putting in a tankless water heater and want to get the current water softener going or replace it. We have a Rain Soft system. I don't know a thing about water softeners except what I read in the archives. This systm has been disconnected for three years. I called the Rain Soft people and they said it was a $6000 system put in in 98. Has acid something and softener. They want $500 to hook it back up, no warranty and any parts and labor would be extra. Or they will exchange it for the newest thing going for a mere $2000, warranty for life (unless we sell), and a maintnance fee of 109. I can get a new system at Lowes for 4 to 500 hundred.

I have three questions:

1. Can we regenerate/start/service this Rain Soft system ourselves?

2. Can someone tell us how to service it?

3. Would we be better to buy a new system, work on this one, or go with the exchange Rain Soft?

I can give a description of what I see but don't know enough to call parts by their name. At the well house we have a tall rectangular canister - I think for salts, and two tall cylinders with gauges on them, one a little larger than the other.

We are not ignorant about plumbing, just no experience with water softeners.

Thanks
    Halo

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I replied in more detail in the Shop Talk area. Don't know that they like you posting the same question in several forums - gets repetitive?

Anyhow, 2 friends of mine would tell you to toss that junk out of the house & do not contact or ever deal with the theiving company....

--->Paul

3. Hilly Acre Farm

Hilly Acre Farm Active Member

I agree. I would NEVER do business with that company again!!!!! First, they quote that high price, but they sell all their new systems at a "real good deal" for $2500. I'll just say we have only had to use a lawyer once, & it was to get our money back from them. It was NOT easy. The system worked great for the first 3 days (since it came primed). After that, a NIGHTMARE. We had salt in the lines, awful water, etc. They made it to all be our fault. They were the worst people we have ever dealt with, EVER!!!!! Yes, they are thieves. I can't tell you what all we went thru, but it took forever before we got our money back, & that only thru the company owner & the attorney general of Indiana. That company was SO rude, I can't tell you.

Just my two cents :)

4. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Hi, my dh and I own a plumbing business. I would recommend you ditch the Rain Soft system, they have a bad reputation anyways, and don't buy the Lowes one either. First, get your water tested to find out how hard it is. Then look up a local plumbing contractor in your phone book or ask a neighbor. $6,000 is WAY too much for a water soft system.
    The Lowes one doesn't work, we are Lowes installers and we refuse to install their water softening systems because we don't want customer complaints coming back to us. The customers want to blame the installer if the system won't work when it's the product that's no good. We do install their water heaters and dishwasher and commodes.
    You can't get the correct water softener until you know how many grains hard your water is. From there your plumber should be able to size the correct unit for you. If you buy too small of a unit, it wont' work, too large and you wasted your money. Your local plumber should water test for free. At least we do.

Laura Lynn

5. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you folks for replying.

And to Rambler for posting here and in the Shop forum. I hope I didn't offend 'them' by posting twice, but its my observation that 'they' don't venture into every forum and so I chose the two most appropriate places to post.

It does not sound too promising for the Rain Soft system and the Rain Soft people even suggested we might want to go with some other system. How often does that happen.

We will get the water tested. Is this a test we can run or something that you send off?

And if the Lowes system isn't that good - what is?

Thanks
    Halo

6. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

If you own a test kit, then you can test the water yourself. Most likely you don't and a plumber can do the test.
    We sell Water Soft systems. They are usually less than $3000 to install. If you have a Nolands dealer near you, you can go there and discuss it. OR try you local plumber.