Rain Rot

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TwoAcresAndAGoat, Feb 24, 2005.

1. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

About 5 days ago was checking my goats and noticed that one of my boys had thick legs. Well the my light bulb was a bit dim and it took me a few minutes to decide that this just wasn't right. :no: I brought him up to the main barn and examined his legs. He has rain rot up to the knee and hock on all four legs. :eek:

Now the ground is not wet, his goat shed has an elivated wooden sleepling platform with lots of dry wood shavings. Thankfully his goat buddy has no signs of the fungus/microb infection. I had just trimmed their feet the week( ok mabe it was two weeks ) before and did not notice anything.

[​IMG]
    This picture is after 5 days of treatment.

I shaved him down and there are other smaller spots on some of his body and neck but not very significant at all, but his leggs are a mess. I used a betadine surgical scrub (7.5% povidone-iodine) to wash and soften the scabby stuff loose and pick it off. I give him a 3cc shot of penicillin every day and apply providone-iodine solution 10% on days he does not get the surgical scrub (days it's to cold for a bath like today).

Because it is cold still I had to make him a little goat blanket!

[​IMG]

This is made from an old blue blanket with a shell of canvis to keep the shavings and hay from sticking to it-this is just stuff I had laying around. I used a strip of the blue blanket for a belt like a belt for a robe and just tie it on. The leg straps are also lenghts of blanket and tie around the legs. The fron closure is a small dog collar.

[​IMG]

I am going to make a sceond one so I have one to wash and one for him to wear. The nice thing is when he is all better I can just burn the blakets since I don't have anyting invested in them. :D

Now for the question part of the post.

Is there anything else I can do for him?
    How long should he continue the Penicillin shots?
    How long shoud I continue the Povidone-Iodine applications?
    I pickout his stall every day-when and how often should it be stripped and disinfected?

2. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a doe like that 2 years ago, no other animals had it and they were all housed together in clean, dry quarters. We wormed her with Cydectrin (sp?) and she cleared right up...Joan

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

One thing you might want to watch out for is overuse of the 7-10%iodine. This is very drying (used to dry up umbilical cords, for example) and can actually damage the new, tender skin cells under those scabs. You want to encourage the healing, not retard it. You might be better off to clean with 1/2 strength hydrogen peroxide and normal saline (you can use the normal saline for rinsing contacts found at the local pharmacy) and use triple antibiotic ointment (generic works just as well as Neosporin) to the area, maybe wrapping the affected area with gauze to keep it cleaner. I'm an RN and do a lot of dressing changes, so this is more from a "people treatment" standpoint, but aren't our goats pretty much people, too? ;^) Just my .02's worth.

Mary