rain, rain and oh bother....more rain

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, Dec 30, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

OK what is with all the rain in the NW? Sheesh.. feels like someone turned the spigot on full.
    Haven't had this kind of winter rain in a few years.
    Horses look like drown rats,, haven't had to deal with clay soil in years..so it is ah,, interesting. Remembering all that stuff I managed to forget about clay soil.
    Going to have to figure out how to keep the mud down next year.
    Could move better through the stuff if I used ski's!
    Anyone having large amounts of rain?

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Well Bergere, just drive over to my part of the Northwest. It's snowing hard here...we've gotten about 3 inches so far.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Ick. I'll take the rain, thanks Lisa...even with a hold in my rubber boots!

splish...splish...splash...splash...

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We are! (As if you didn't know, lol)

We are officially boating across the creek today because it's too flooded to drive across. The kids are loving it, and I just roll my eye's while I ask them if my butt is wet before we head to the store, lol. From what I hear it's going to be raining until Thursday...that will make it interesting. Could get as bad as the flood of 1996, I'm thinking.

If you come up with some good suggestions on getting rid of the mud, let me know! ;)

Deb

5. Lisa in WA

Wussy Kesoaps!... I love the snow!

6. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

We're just catching up. I read we had only had .75 of an inch, when normally we should have had 7.00 inches, or thereabouts. We've had quite a few days where the days were mostly dry -- even sunny and balmy -- but the nights it just poured. Quite convenient really!

Ducks! Ducks! More ducks!!

Oh -- and TEA!

7. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

Lisa, that's unfair. Down here near Orofino, it is pouring rain. Last night we got 2 inches of snow, very lovely. Now it's slush turning into ice.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Have to admit I do like the rain better than the cold snow of new england.
    But goodness,, we can sure use a break from the rain!

Lisa you can keep the snow. Before all this rain we had 15* to 19* but dry weather and it was a royal pain getting water to the animals. Water buckets were frozen solid. Only non gimp on the place is DS. He sure got a work out!!

You are having to boat Deb!! That's scary! So I guess coming over for Tea isn't going to happen??? ;O)
    I used some 1/4- gravel for that little path,,and it is holding up well for a person walk way. Would like to get some more but the price has gone up $60.00 over what I paid for it last year for 10 yards. Pretty spendy now.
    Don't know how well it would do in that pasture??
    Had some Cedar shreaded mulch delievered to make a cart path,, but we are using it in the worse areas where the Icey & Fjord are.
    Think I just need to buy Cross country ski's to get around. :viking:

I saw how fast the stream which was over following when we were down at the old family farm in Dallas, OR a few days ago.
    Here we are getting quite the ponds where there would not normally be any. Once the weather drys out a bit we will have to figure out what we need to do to keep it from happening.

Nice warm tea is a good idea snoozy!!

9. Lisa in WA

I didn't know you were near Orofino. My most favorite politically incorrect high school team name is from Orofino: The Maniacs! (For those who don't know, the state hospital is next to the high school)...Only in Idaho.... :)

10. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

With a capital W, thank you very much! :D DD has a birthday coming up in less than a week, she always prays for snow and recently has always gotten it. I'm telling her to give it up this year!

11. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, :grump: quit being so selfish and send some of that down here before we all go up in smoke!!! :help:

12. happycat

happycat Well-Known Member

We're getting lots of wet, slushy rain here on the eastern slope of the cascades. A few weeks ago it was single digits, then tons of rain, now snow again.

I'll take the cold, dry snow over the wet stuff any day. I went to town to shop this morning and just thought there's nothing prettier than snow in the mountains.

13. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the Evergreen State College's team name: the Geoducks! You can just tell what a priority athletics is there ;) .

14. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Its funny because A friend of ours use to live in Oregon and would tell us how bad (rainy, cloudy) the winters are...well WI isn't much better! We've got an inch or so of crust on the ground and its been drizzling for 24hrs. First we had extreme cold for the first 20 days of the month and now its been mild (30's) but the sun hasn't been out since before Christmas! This is getting annoying. Usually we get cold high pressure that comes out of Canada during the winter and clears the skies, leaving it cold...but atleast sunny!

Oh and those lows that are hitting you are like bowling balls and do effect us to...except they lack moisture.

15. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Don't you just love it :grit: when the weather is cooperating with everything you've always wanted?

16. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

Ha! They sure can move that ball when the lithium levels are kept below 1.0.

17. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

Roads around here are getting closed all over the mountains from slides...
    The ground is really saturated.... A normal 20 minute drive to town took us 1 hour there and 2 hours back... Listening to the scanner they are getting slides all over... Our two little creeks are ripping... all the creeks coming out of the mountains are... The snow level is real high for this time of year...

18. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

You west coast folk stop hogging all the rain. We have burn bans up in west AR and east OK. Dry as dust. Even professional public fireworks for New Years Day are being cancelled. On positive side temps are 50s and 60s and we are suppose to flirt with 70s this coming week.

Had some friends out burning leaves yesterday. They were careful, but still really stupid. So dry one little spark could start a fire that would be nearly impossible to get put out. I had a fire one spring where wind came up suddenly and field of tall dry dead grass turned into an inferno and that was couple days after we'd had several inches rain. Which meant after it burned up 3 junk cars and had me scared to death it would head towards my house and half dead trying to beat it out, it slowed way down when it reached wet leaf litter at tree line. As dry as it is, dont think it would slow down today.

19. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

It was supposed to rain here all night, but we only got about 30 minutes. I feel for you guys who are covered in mud slides and flooding.

20. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

Count your BLESSINGS!! Sure wished we had some of that rain. Our spring has gone completly dry. No water since November.Having to carry ours. Had plenty year before last. This summer has been soo dry.We have gone as long as four months with only an inch of rain!! PLEASE send it down to East Tennessee!!! We,ll be waiting,with arms open!!