Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have water in my crawl space. Not deep, just small pools in different areas on the plastic ground cover.

The problem has 2 causes:
1) 2 areas of roof come together in a v creating too much water coming off the roof
2) The entry into the crawl space is directly under where the water overflows

I put a metal diverter on the outside of the gutters to try to push the water into the gutters, but there is so much water it overflows the diverter. There is a lip on the 2 patio edges of the crawlspace entrance, so that's not how water gets in. It gets in on the 2 edges against the house.

Here's the cover to the crawl space entrance. It's a wooden frame with metal top and sides.

So I need to either stop the rainwater from falling on the cover or find a way to seal the cover so water can't get in or both. Any ideas? Cheap is good.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, why not try a lean to roof in this area?
That sounds rather ambitious. I was hoping someone would tell me how to fix it with flashing!

They should make a gutter that has a high wall for just this purpose. I bet they would sell a ton of them. Or a special quarter-circle gutter piece for corners.

What if I doubled the gutter in the corner? Use a 4' gutter connected to a corner piece and then another 4' piece with an end cap on each end. Install it about an inch higher than the existing gutter and then dump the water back into the existing gutter.

·
Registered
16,257 Posts
Don't think you will. It will always be a problem. If you dam it up enough to go into the gutter you will have water retainage under your roof. This week rot your deck.

Best thing to do is to let it drain further out. Maybe build a little porch or if it is south facing do a green house.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
That hole cover needs to be built at a slant, and shed the water off tot he bottom and right of the photo.

currently it pushes the water in all 4 directions, and some of it will go to the house walls and down.

you need a slanted ‘roof’ over that hole, and you need a little bit of flashing on the house wall to make a lip that drains onto the new cover and then flush the water away from the hole.

if your landscape does not slope away from this corner, you are doomed, as the water will pool back to the low area and soak down anyhow.

then you might need 5 inch gutters all around, instead of 4 inch. Your corner dam should have helped, but the eve trough just doesn’t have the capacity.

·
Realist
2,754 Posts
Put a downspout near the corner.

Reactions: Danaus29

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That hole cover needs to be built at a slant, and shed the water off tot he bottom and right of the photo.

currently it pushes the water in all 4 directions, and some of it will go to the house walls and down.

you need a slanted ‘roof’ over that hole, and you need a little bit of flashing on the house wall to make a lip that drains onto the new cover and then flush the water away from the hole.

if your landscape does not slope away from this corner, you are doomed, as the water will pool back to the low area and soak down anyhow.

then you might need 5 inch gutters all around, instead of 4 inch. Your corner dam should have helped, but the eve trough just doesn’t have the capacity.
It is slanted, but only in 1 direction. Do you think it would be worth it to go with 6"? I would need about 40'.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
I can’t see the slant in the pictures. That cover would need at least the same amount of slant as the roof has, and needs flashing just as a roof has to direct water away and down, not allow water to get to seams. I can’t tell that it is designed as such, or if it just has a little bit of slant.

a downspout there would be another good option as the person mentioned, your roof is sending water into a corner where water flow has to slow to make the corner, your eves are filling up. The downspout would get some water away from that congested area. Your tin shield up there was a good idea, it might need to be a loittle longer in both directions. Would need to watch it in a rain and see what exactly is happening and then fix exactly that. Water going over the top of your shield, or past the edges of your shield, or the eves all along overflowing, or.....

we are just speculating. water flows fast on the slopes roof, it flows slow in the slightly pitched Eve, and likewise on the hole cover below the water is free falling and then hits the cover where it nearly stops before moving down the slight pitch.

you need to speed up the flow of water in the places it is slowing down.

Paul

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Put a down spout in the corner so you can direct the flow away from the opening in the patio, and if the flow off the roof is actually over-shooting the gutter, rivet 4-6 inches of metal to the gutter to increase the height of the front wall of the gutter where the over-shoot is occurring. Maybe that extension would be enough to avoid putting in the down spout if the remaining gutter could hold the flow.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like your gutter is a lot lower than the roof edge. Gutter also looks tilted away from the house, like it’s loose.
If that gutter were raised and leveled it would work a lot better. They also make wider gutters.
Is all the water coming in through that cover? Are you getting it through the wall too? Ground outside of the house should pitch away from the house.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.. rivet 4-6 inches of metal to the gutter to increase the height of the front wall of the gutter where the over-shoot is occurring. Maybe that extension would be enough to avoid putting in the down spout if the remaining gutter could hold the flow.
That's going to look like crap. When you are sitting on the patio, that's exactly the area you see. Instead of going higher, I'm thinking of coming our farther. I was thinking of attaching 2 4' pieces of gutter and corner piece to the existing gutter. I haven't figured out how to attach it or where to dump the water.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Needs downspout. Tearing those gutters out and mounting new ones up tighter to the drip edge would help too. If you are really opposed to installing a downspout where it is needed, might go six inch while you are remounting gutters.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like your gutter is a lot lower than the roof edge. Gutter also looks tilted away from the house, like it’s loose.
If that gutter were raised and leveled it would work a lot better. They also make wider gutters.
Is all the water coming in through that cover? Are you getting it through the wall too? Ground outside of the house should pitch away from the house.
It's hard to tell. There is almost always some water about 3' into the crawlspace that I think is coming from the cover not keeping the water out. There are sometimes 2 or 3 other spots with water, but I suspect it is runoff from the pool close to the entrance. The water is never more than 1/2" deep. I've seen a pool about 5' long, but that's just because the ground is not perfectly level and water will pool in low spots.

There are also 4 vent openings where water, especially melting snow could get into the crawlspace. The water is on top of the plastic and I have never noticed the ground under the plastic being damp. On the other hand, my neighbor has a basement and even with a sump pump, he has a hard time keeping water out. I redirected the runoff from my house away from both his and my house last year.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Water does not like ninety degree bends. It doesn't know it needs to split and go two directions on an inside gutter corner. That's why if you add a downspout, it will have three options to choose from. If the water if overshooting the gutter, it's because the gutter is not installed correctly. If it is spilling over the gutter it can be fixed with a downspout or larger gutter.

But what might work for you is a product made by gutter glove that mounts on the shingle side of your gutter on the roof. It's perforated metal that lets some water through at the valley and diverts the rest out the roof away from the valley. It works but I would be careful to make sure it wasn't backing the water up under the shingles in a hard rain. I would rather have water splashing over the gutter than rotting out my roof.

·
Registered
669 Posts
On my phone, it looks like the roofline on the right is higher than the left side.

Also, the gutter looks to be hanging down. Is that a gutter spike going up towards the roof.

Those gutter need reset at a minimum.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally got back to looking at the problem.

The cover for the crawl space was made about 1 1/2" too short in length. Instead of fixing it, which would have meant almost starting over, he cut a 1x8 to the width and just laid it across the opening along the house side. Then put the cover on and pushed it against the 1x8, Since the crawl space is right at an inside corner of the house, that presented 3 places water can leak in.

I think the right thing to do is to build it correctly so it fits, and then put flashing right above the cover on both sides of the corner, pushing any water away from the house onto the cover.

I have the floor mat from my van which I replaced with gym tiles. It feels like rubber, but I assume it is plastic. It is large enough I could use it to cover the new cover and save me a bunch of money. I'm planning on doing it unless someone gives me a really good reason not to.

I'm going to have a very short time period to get this done and as it is, I have all kinds of lumber except what I need.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Not deep, just small pools in different areas on the plastic ground cover.
Why is there a plastic ground cover under the house? Sounds like you have a water trap under your house. I would punch a hole in the ground cover, so the water can drain out into the dirt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts