Homesteading Forum banner

rain gear

780 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  oz in SC 
#1 ·
After getting a lot of rain and needing to do a lot of chores outside, we're starting to think that some rain gear might be in order.

Our area gets something like 25 inches of rain per year (technically, we're "mountain desert"), and I think a lot of that can be counted as snow. In the past, we just wore our cotton jackets, got wet, and dried them later. But those are way too heavy this time of the year.

I remember wearing rubber stuff when young and it didn't take much work until you were just as wet on the inside from sweat.

That goretex stuff is nice, but mighty expensive.

Nylon needs to have stuff sprayed on it regularly, doesn't it?

I suppose those $5 vinyl things could be a short term solution, but was hoping for something longer term.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Well, if the rain is still warm like here on the Wet Side, I just strip down to boots. Otherwise I wear an old nylon raincoat (USAF surplus) that lasts about 10 years and my carhart when it gets colder.

#3 ·
Paul, don't rule out Gore-tex. I bought my first jacket this summer from Land's End Closeouts. Regularly priced they have a Gore-tex rain jacket for $99, I got mine for $79 because I guess the color (honeygold) wasn't selling or something. It is light and breathable and machine washable and has made a GREAT difference in my enjoyment of wet weather hikes.

I bought and returned several $40 jackets that made lots of noise when I moved, felt plastic and rippable (even though they were advertised as not so much). I finally decided that the Gore-tex would be a good investment. My sister has had hers for 4 years and counting, which is a cost per year that I can live with. Also, with Gore-tex, it can serve as a top layer in wet snow which is an issue here. I got a roomy one for me to account for a sweater or such under it.

Sierratradingpost.com and campmor.com occ. have good deals on Gore-tex, but none have really beat the $99 regular price of Land's End.

#7 ·
I like those European rain capes, sort of a canvas covered rubber fabric, to work in. First of all, they vent better than rain suits, (collar / wrists / ankles vs. open bottom - this helps a lot. If you have to climb while wearing it, they part in the middle, unlike a poncho which you can step on and trip yourself. These capes have vertical slits in the fronts so that you can stick your arms out to work / carry items, yet you can pull them inside and protect them from further exposure. If the rain gets really hard, you can sit down and protect your body with it, leaving only your face exposed to the elements (and turning down), is nearly protected. If you get cold during this time, a small tea candle, lit inside it, warms you up quickly - use care though.

Downsides: two that I have found. One: people telling you 'Hi Underdog' can be quite annoying. :haha: Capes aren't used very much on this side of the pond. And two: they can be rather annoying in high wind, fabric billowing out like a flag.

Other than that - I like 'em. Last time I looked The Sportsman's Guide had them for less than $20.

#10 ·
There are numerous breathable membranes on the market similar to Gortex and a whole lot less expensive. I you hit up the outlet stores Patagonia and North Face, I have seen high end breathable jackets go for $120 with 40% more off an sale events you can get tough high D, breathable jackets for $60-70. There is no better way to stay dry.

-Anataq

#11 ·
If you don't mind looking like some crazed militia man :haha: you can buy first generation US military surplus goretex cheap nowadays.

Also Europena military wet weather gear can be found cheap as well.

Try Sportsman's Guide,Cheaper Than Dirt,Major Surplus,etc.

You can find it quite reasonalbe but I have never bought any-

I don't go outside if it rains. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.