Rain gear that actually works

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Dec 17, 2004.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Living in the pacific north wet I find myself working out on my place in the rain or drizzle quite frequently. I currently use on of those marine type yellow rain jackets. This jacket has a vent panel, but after only 5-10 minutes of work my shirt is soaked with sweat.

I need to do semi-vigorous outdoor work like chopping wood, running the tractor, digging, hauling etc in the rain.

There has got to be rain-gear nowadays that will allow me to do this with some level of comfort?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Wayne,

Where in the PNWet are you located?

Try Helley Hansens. They make the absolute best raingear. I have had my set for 10 years now and they are as good as new. If you are Seattle or North I can tell you right where to get them and if South try any good rental store like Super Rents or AA rental. You can also try the yellow pages for Industrial Supply.

GA

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Helly Hansens is about as good as it gets.

I find that when the temps are around 50* I really start to sweat. When it's 50* and up I just don't bother with rain gear and wear an old wool sweater that will keep me warm after it gets wet. Some of the polar fleece stuff will also keep you warm after it gets wet. Just keep a nice dry pair of sweat pants in the mud room to change into after the outside work is done.

4. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Helly Hanson! Sheesh, I can't believe I missed that. They are right in my backyard... I think. I used to work in Redmond and I think there was a warehouse or manufacturing facility of some sort there.

I have a super rents (or whatever it's called now) just down the road from me. Now that I think about it last time I was in there I was staring right at the rain gear while being waited on. Their selection was pretty small though, and I take a size 4xlt. Maybe I could order online or something.

Jen,
    Good idea about the wool or fleece outerwear. I agree when it's above 45 or so maybe there is not any rain gear that could keep you dry from the rain, and actually breaths well enough to keep you dry from the sweat.[shrug]

Wayne

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I don't think I work as hard as you, but my purchase of a gore-tex rain jacket from Land's End last year was the best I made (under $115 delivered). Check out Campmor.com aor sierratradingpost.com for other deals on high-tech performance fabric clothes.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If all else fails you could get a big tractor umbrella and strap it to your back. I worked outside rain or shine for 17 years and never found anything waterproof that allowed the sweat to evaporate when I was working. I sweat more than some people I guess.

7. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I second the suggestion of Helly-Hansen. They're great. I picked up a set from a shop that supplied commercial fisherman years ago. I haven't seen them in inland areas, but I'm sure they must be sold other places where people work on the water.