Radio Station playing all Christmas music

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by AngieM2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I know these stations usually start after Thanksgiving. But I turned on the radio today and the station is being all Christmas music. I admit it's better than what is usually on... but darn this is too early.

Angie

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Holy Cow! That is wayyy too early. I heard a thing on NPR today that said that all the Christmas Tree farms were working to harvest their trees by this weekend because Thanksgiving came early this year. :shrug: Think of those poor DJ's...they must just want to wear cotton in their ears by Christmas Eve. :help:

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Local "lite" station started this past Sunday; all day, all week. Wayyyy - to early in my opinion.

4. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Christmas music wooooooooohooooooooo. Bought our first eggnog today. Life is good.

5. RedHairedBonnie

RedHairedBonnie Well-Known Member

Yes, I recently heard Christmas music, I shut off the radio. I work at a grocery store and I was instructed to start putting out the Christmas stuff October 23rd!!! Told my boss we were skipping a holiday, and did what I was told. After the Christmas money.

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

The Christmas season has traditionally started the day after Thanksgiving. It was exciting to go shopping then. Overnight, suddenly everything turned Christmasy. It was great. I feel like I'm being cheated of some of the holiday excitement when the stores start putting out Christmas stuff before Halloween. :(

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I dunno I like Christmas music, "Too" early seems a tad defeatest, if we're to keep Christmas in our hearts year round....... Heck Canadian TG was weeks ago I'm ready for Christmas now and for a few weeks to come yet!

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

second radio station doing it also..
    Both easy listening.

In the parts of American I'm use to , the day after Thanksgiving was the "un-official/official" start of Santa arriving, music all day (use to be one an hour, then next week two, etc,, and built up to 24 hours of Christmas music on Christmas eve and day. Made it special).

I guess that's it. Too much makes it not special. just ordinary.

Oh well, Merry Christmas.

Angie

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Merry Christmas Angie and even if it's not just for the deserving may yours be as merry as any so deserving can enjoy. I might just spend a few hours tree hunting tomorrow.... the kids are home with a PD day.

10. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

I noticed menard's had christmas items in their sale ad, and it said
    "lowest prices of the season!!!!". Well, yeah. I mean, how long HAS it been the season?? :rolleyes:

11. Melissa

Melissa member

It is early. I remember years ago a local radio station did the 24 hours of Christmas and played nothing but Christmas music for 24 hours, then it moved to 48 hours, then one week, then they started the day after Thanksgiving.

12. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We don't get radio. Last year couldn't even find it on the radio until the day before Christmas. My kids saw the snow falling last week & broke out our Christmas cds. They aren't even wanting to decorate much for Thanksgiving, They do want to decorate for Christmas right after Thanksgiving day. I won't let them before.

13. Magickhart

Magickhart Member

Christmas isn't what it used to be. Like everything else it has changed to meet the demands of generating sales and revenue. Simply put… The earlier you start pushing impressions on people the sooner they will want to start buying items for the holidays. With today’s cost of living expenses rising every winter season businesses realize the need to push the holiday selling season earlier while people have the money to spend. Make sense?

I have always decorated for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving and never before that. Two weeks ago we were out and about in the evening doing some shopping and we had seen people’s homes in the local area already decorated for Christmas! My boys yelled out, “NO WAY!” Even they were shocked to see it.