radio reception

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by outsideman1, Mar 28, 2005.

1. outsideman1

outsideman1 Well-Known Member

can anyone tell me how to get better reception out of my fm radio . i can only get my favorite station sometimes and when i do if i get to close to it its gets a lot of static. i hope someone can tell me how to do it without buying an outside antenna. thanks

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

with fm you may have to move the antenna around or make it longer or shorter.
    also, the atmosphere conditions makes reception change.

The wavelengths of the stations you are after will really determine the best reception.

Go to Howstuffworks.com and look into fm radio. It will explain some of what you need to do.

Angie

3. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

All radios aren't the same.

You can buy radios that are built to pull in weaker signals.
    I would also try an outdoor antennae. Shortwave radio operators make home made antennas using lengths of wire run out a window and to a tree or other post.

4. D

D Well-Known Member

Unravel a wire hanger, stick it in old antenna (or duct-tape it to it), and experiment with different positions all over the room. (If you think I'm kidding, try it.) ;)

5. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

6. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just put an aluminum foil flag on my indoor antenna, and it works fine.

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

At the top of this page there is an ad for an antenna booster.You might also try www.ccradio.com

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of radio is it? Does it have external antenna connections on it?
    Just sticking a coat hanger or whatever isnt going to help much. If you have a radio with external connections, Connect it to your TV antenna. Many stereo's have antenna connections.

Another option is to get a better radio. Most radio's are made to be cheap and pickup local signals.

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I recently had this problem with the AM/FM/Cassette built-in unit which came with this mobile home. Antenna was a short length of fine wire handing out from the wall unit. I bought a 100' role of plastic covered speaker wire, connected one end to the antenna and put the rest of the wire outside. Reception isn't great, but the distant FM station does come in louder and far more static free.

Ken Scharabok

10. outsideman1

outsideman1 Well-Known Member

thanks folks. i hooked some electric fencwire to the end and ran it outside down the wall about 7 feet . works pretty good also found out the flourescent lights i use in the barn were also causing some of the problem. glad to get the station in though , they play classic country on sunday nights and i love it . couldnt stand it when i was a kid but now i love it . go figure