radio fences

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ox, Dec 31, 2004.

1. ox

ox Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have any good links or leads with regards to radio fencing for goats? Any help would be appreciated. We are running between 50 -80 angora goats at a time.

2. alpinegoatgirl

alpinegoatgirl Member

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but what are you meaning by radio fencing? :confused:

Thanks!

3. Allan Mistler

Allan Mistler Just a simple man

Ox, I think you are referring to those collars that we put on dogs to keep them within a specific area? If so, I'm wondering the same thing... has anybody ever tried to fence train a goat to those collars?
    Ox, if you have tried it since asking the question, please let us know how you made out since I'm thinking of trying it too! I used to have a five wire Gallagher high tension fence to keep the goats in and the coyotes out... the terrain at my new homestead doesn't lend itself to such a competent fence and I'm thinking of training both the does and the guard dog to respect a collar type fence. The posts , barbed wire and electric fence are in place for the cattle already so it should be a snap to add another line for this system.
    What do you folks think? Anyone!

4. Allan Mistler

I just requested information from a manufacturer* of these fences and he reported that some folks have had success with the buried fence type of collar when using the "stubborn dog" collar. Now I'm intrigued... have to get one to try!

* Radio Fence Distributors, Inc.
    Order Online at http://www.radiofence.com
    Call Toll Free: 1-800-941-4200

5. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

what are you going to do about predators ?

6. Allan Mistler

I have an adequate quantity of coyotes and foxes around here so the dog is going to have to wear a collar too! I've got a line on some Newfoundland pups that I'm going to be looking into. My Lab needs company (and a little backup) sometimes!

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Ox, you say you have 50 to 80 head? My sister's radio collars for her dogs run over $100 each. Let's see, that's . . . a lot of money! And, as has been mentioned, no protection from predators.

Do you have a problem just running a regular fence? Electric or field fencing? We might be able to help a bit there if you let us know the situation.

8. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I have used an Ecollar on goats, it took 7 full power zaps to get my doe off off the top of my pickup, she didn't care for the 1st 3 zaps, and then got off and went right back up there for 4 more zaps. {I have one of the highest power level collars on the market} So it might work , but those collars aren't cheap $$$$$$