Radio Fence Installation Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I got a radio fence for my dogs. It says not to install the transmitter near a large metal object. My house has aluminum siding. Does that count as a large metal object?

Jena

2. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

I once had a electric shock collar, it was controlled by a remote control, however one day the dog went into the chicken house (big mistake) apparently the sheet metal on the roof caused (for some reason) the collar to go into shock mode constantly (I thought the dog was going to die from that one). Needless to say the dog never ventured toward the chicken house again.... I don't know if that applies to your set up, but generally anything metal can disrupt a radio tranmitted signal, placement of the transmitter may need to be "away from the sheet metal" opposite side of the yard possibly? One thought would be to try (without perminant install) at the desired location then move around as necessary to make sure it works properly. Good luck!

3. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Also remember the radio fence doesn't keep other people's dogs (or any type of predator) OUT. But effectively traps your dogs IN. I have heard horror stories of dogs being killed by strays who can wander on and off property at will. Please watch your dogs carefully and don't leave them loose on the property if you aren't home.

4. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Our dogs are on a radio fence and we have a metal roof on our house - no problems with that. Not sure about aluminum siding, though. Does the fence have a tollfree number you can call for advice?

5. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

We have ours mounted on the wall of our pole barn. The walls are insulated with 6" of fiberglass, but the transmitter is only that distance from the steel siding. We have the yard fenced, but the Siberian Husky is an escape artist - climbs tall fences with a single bound!

We had a friend that had a husky and it would sit next to the electric line and listen to the beep until the battery went dead. Then he was GONE!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I heard of some folks who had one of these fences. They said the dog would start yelping, and run across the fence as fast as he could go.

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

If you don't train them right, they can learn to run through it, rather than avoid it.

I guess I will lay out the wire and try it to make sure it works before I bury the wire.

Jena