Radio/electric fence

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Willowynd, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I would like to get everyones ideas about these. After seeing my old neighbors Golden constanly out of his yard even though he had underground fencing- I was not convinced these work well. BUT wondering if they have improved. I really need something to put my mind at ease after I lost a dog several months ago. She got out of the inside run (my son forgot to put the clip in the hasp the night before) and opened a window to the kennel building somehow and pushed out the screen- 15 minutes after I had been there to water and play with the dogs I found her on the road when I left to take another dog to the vet. The other dogs never even barked- maybe because they were outside and didn't see her escape and she never went around to the outside run area- just through the post and board fence (she broke a board going through it)-across the neighbors field to the highway? I am still very upset about her passing and am blaming myself for not extending her house time as she had just gone back to the kennel the night before with a few others so the next group could have house time. She was such a sweet and lovely girl with national winners in her pedigree. I don't even have a son or daughter from her as I was waiting to breed her until after she got her hip xrays and thyroid test (if they were normal) and she matured some more.
    Since then I find myself jumping up if I hear anything and constantly checking to be sure no one is out. I am so stressed about it, I do not sleep more than a few hours at a time. I thought I had a secure set up - kennel building with attached runs- gates (which have clips on the latches) open up into a large gated exercise area, which I lock. Perimeter fences are all 6 ft. The windows are the narrowest I could find that would still allow good air flow when opened (with screens). The inside runs are cattle wire with hasps so keep them closed, and clips on those- they empty into an aisle- the door has a hasp on the outside. Not sure what else I could do to make it more secure other than iron bars on the windows (which I am strongly considering). Now thinking about underground fence.
    Would underground fencing be a good option for yet another barrier? What has been everyone's experience with it? Will it cause my dogs to become fearful? What strength would I need for collies? Can they be used on pups?
    Any suggestions and experiences?
    I had considered electric fencing, but I am not thrilled with that idea as I have been shocked by it before- it is really strong, I would think it could kill a pup and I could see myself brushing against it too.

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Electric fencing won't kill a dog unless it gets tangled in it and dies from the struggling. I would suggest you train each dog to respect the fence.

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I don't like the underground fencing. I know some use it successfully for many years, but I would never trust my dogs life to an underground fence. An above ground electric fence is much better IMO. It should not kill a dog, not even a puppy.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Underground fencing is VERY expensive. It will NOT keep anything out. Above ground electric wont kill a dog, and once they learn about it they usually wont go near it. Its much cheaper than underground, which would require a seperate collar for each animal.

5. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I don't think underground fencing is a solution for you either. Are you prepared to keep a collar on EVERY dog all the time since you can't predict which one will escape (and they have to be fairly tight so the prongs contact skin-can't imagine what that would do to a show coat!). And each collar is going to be $50-$100 each depending on the brand. I would concentrate my time and efforts into strenthening the WHOLE perimeter fence. Or put a heavy duty perimeter fence around the kennel area so if the escape the inside kennels they can't go anywhere. A post and board fence obviously isn't enough. I hope you find a good solution for your situation.

6. Willowynd

Thank you for all the advice. I guess electric is my best option. How many strands would I need and at what heights- keeping in mind there is usually dogs of different ages/ sizes here from pups to adults? Is there any training to do to the electric fence, and if so- what- or do you just let them happen against it? How big a charger would I need? I have a couple here I had picked up at yard sales- one is a Fi-Shock that is 115 volts ,60 Hz, 14 w max and the other is a 105- 125 v , 50-60 hz. I have a roll of "tape" but can get other wire. Suggestions?

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

You need a wire close to the ground. If you mow, six inches above ground, but maybe four inches because your dogs are small. You have to make sure the wire is tight, because when it sags and hits the ground it grounds out. Place the next wire six inches above that. My wires are further apart, but your small dogs may figure out they can step over the bottom wire. You'll want a third wire. If you get snow you'll want to be able to turn off the current on the bottom wire while leaving the other two hot. You want your gate to open wide enough for anything you might want to move in or out. You can always use a double gate system, each gate being 3 feet wide.

You can get a heavier or lighter gauge wire. A lighter gauge will probably work fine for you, but it will stretch if something runs into it. Easily fixed, just undo one end and pull tighter. We use aluminium, which the deer seem to notice better.

Your dogs will step up to investigate the wire, put their noses on it, and get zapped. The current pulses, so they may not get zapped the first time, but they probably will. You want them to get zapped on their noses. If they try to go under the wire, their body will touch the ground and the jolt will be much worse. I realize your dogs have thick coats, but a puppy won't have as much protection. You do not want your dogs near the fence until it is hot. They have to learn immediatly that it's a bad thing or one of them will keep testing it.

I've never had a neighbor dog in my pasture. My border collie will not go in unless I open the gate. part of this is trianing, but he is very mindful of that wire.

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

9. Willowynd

How do I know if they are pulse or not? I posted the information on the boxes above- that's all I know. Thanks for the link- I will check it out.

10. Willowynd

OK- I did some searching and found out that these are not the ones that pulse- they are solid state. Looks like I will need to buy yet another fence charger- sigh.

11. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

You can teach your dog to respect the fence by putting peanut butter on tin foil and hanging the tin foil on the fence. They'll only do it a couple of times.