Rackin...Frackin.... goats!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bachelorb, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

I opened up a new pasture the other day. Last night I went into the barn and saw something I hadn't seen since peeking into my boys room when they were 2 and three. My barn was near destroyed!! Hay bales moved. Tools spilled, their food can rolled outside the barn and half way down the hill. Of course when I showed up they were laying in the pasture looking at me like "what--- we didn't do anything....." (kinda like the boys did as I recall.....)

2. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

You opened up a new pasture? Or do you mean you opened up and left open the wrong door or gate in the barn?
    My DH forgets to close doors and gates behind himself every once in a while.
    He always says he planned to go back out that way but ends up leaving another way.
    Critters distroy the barn or the yard depending on which he left open at the time. :rolleyes:
    It's strange how it's us humans that make the mistake but the poor little critters that get yelled at. :)

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

You mean your goats had a party and didn't invite you? :nana: I would have been mad too! :D
    Every so often we forget to put the clip on the latch to the kidding stall and in the morning the little ones are in with the big ones! Always gives me a turn when I peek in the window and the kidding stall is empty!
    Jillis

4. bachelorb

I opened up the gate to the pasture, but since my polebarn is on a hill, the walls don't go all the way to the ground. They did on the other side. Anyway, it looks like they have a playground in there today too until I get home from work and put some fencing around the lower walls.

I have a roll of chicken wire, Do you think that will keep em out?

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

In my experience, chicken wire works for an hour or so. Then they're right back at whatever trouble you've tried to keep them away from.

It's a good thing they're cute and friendly!

6. bachelorb

you know I just wish they would quit looking at me like "what... did we do something wrong????"

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

They don't think they did anything wrong! Goats are like cats, the only crime is in being caught - only dogs and humans have a guilty conscience! :p

8. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I love the messes they can get into. We keep our feed in Plastic 55 Gal Barrels. The other day my son came running up to the house yelling he needed help, the goats were in the barrels. (he currently has a broken arm) I went down to help and it turned out they had knocked over a nearly empty barrel and one goat was completely inside and two were half in. They were squeezed in so tight I couldn't even get a hand in to grab collars, so I grabbed back legs and out they came. They were snackin on the Alf Pellets. Luckily the one that was completely inside was the smaller of the bunch, otherwise, he'd probably still be inside.

9. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I am glad I 'm not the only onw who has been fleeced by their goats. my goats will show me the error in my fencing plans every time. Their pasture includeds the big door to my husbands shop. It currently holds teh feed. The second I open the door to scoot out they are in and I'm chasing goats around teh tractor. On each trip around the tractor they get a bit of feed until they decide they have had enough and "let" me usher them outside. I only have a fighting chance if my sons (5&3) help me.

10. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

Rackin...frackin....goats!!!

I have goats by that name too!

11. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

There's a saying, that if your wife isn't busy enough, give her a goat. They are worse than 2 yr olds. :grump:

12. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Sara, my evil (but ever so cute) Alpine doeling locked me in the chicken coop a couple of weeks ago, by hurling herself at the door and latching it. This was around 8 am and my DH wouldn't be home until around 4:30-5. Fortunately, I discovered that my pocketknife (never leave home without it!!) cuts hardware cloth, so I was able to cut a gap big enough to get my hand outside the door and unlatch it. Pheww!! I wasn't looking forward to spending the day in there.

13. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Our barn has the split door and one day I let the goats out and then went back in for a second. Well, one of my bucks closed the door and somehow managed to latch the bottom latch (we have 2 latches on the door as the goats can get the door open if it only has one latch latched) Well, I never thought I was gonna get out. I wasn't able to climb over the door, but there was a small board loose and I managed to get my arm out and work the latch free. It took about 20 minutes and the goats just stood there staring and playing with my arm while I was trying to get the latch worked free.