Rachel Carson and Silent Spring

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blufford, Oct 30, 2005.

1. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I just saw a Bald Eagle soaring over a lake on the way home from work this morning. Its always nice to see them. It reminded me of Rachel Carson and her life battle against DDT. Does anyone else ever think of her?

2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I haven't read Silent Spring, but I was thinking of finding a copy. I have been reading Women and Wilderness by Anne Bastille. She wrote this book about various women who live or and work in the wilderness.

And one of the women, Margaret Owings, had been influenced by Rachel Carson. She told of meeting her, and Rachel was dying of cancer, and was worried about who would carry on after she was gone. Margaret felt that it was up to her. This book was written in 1980 and many things have changed since then.

3. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

Yes, I do think of her sometimes.

Because of her biased campaign against DDT, millions of people a year in Third World countries die of malaria and other diseases - when DDT was being used, some diseases were almost completely wiped out.

Because of her biased campaign against DDT, we are now using, in America at least, even more toxic substances, that are far more likely to hurt humans, while at the same time they are less effective than DDT.

The woman is no hero, if you look at the consequences of her actions. Most people don't know "the rest of the story" ...

References:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=9169

http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.htm

and many more if you Google "rachel carson DDT" .

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I think of this amazing woman often.

It's a shame that the makers of laws and chemicals overlook her true message. She spoke of the chemicals available during her time, but the message was about ALL toxic chemicals, and misuse of same. Some people today choose to only look at the individual chemicals she spoke of, rather than the complete message. She wasn't able to see what 'humanity' would come up with in the future, but she could predict what the 'chemical trail' would lead to.

Her observations and words have saved people, wildlife, and entire ecosystems. To me, she's one of the greatest minds of the last century.

Meg

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? DDT is used all over the world......there are better options that do not change mosquito behavior and cause resistance....you should also read about the unintended consequences and deaths from using DDT....read this article:

Nonmalarial infant deaths and DDT use for malaria control IN: Emerging INfectious Diseases Vol 9 No. 8 August 2003 By: Aimin Chen and Walter J. Rogan.

6. blufford

Thanks Katlupe, I'll browse around for some information on Anne Bastille and Margaret Owens and read up on them. I'll keep an eye out for an extra copy of Silent Spring and send it to you. I go to alot of book sales but I hate to spend more than a buck for a used book. I wonder if there is anybody today filling the shoes of of people like Rachel Carson?

7. blufford

Thanks Meg, I agree she certainly was one of the greatest minds of the last century. Several others come to mind, Jonus Salk and ......George Washington Carver

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Thanks BobK for helping set the record straight. The pro-DDTers are right up there with the anti-vaccination and anti-amalgam folk.

9. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. Everytime I see an eagle I think of her. Without silent springs, eagles and other species would be nevermore.
    tnborn

10. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Is it the contention that Rachel Carson was correct in her book?

11. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Have you read the book?

12. oz in SC

I'll try again....

13. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I read this book many years ago about the same time as i read "alas babylon" and was profoundly touched by each of them. I did not realize at the time what enviromentalizm was about nor did I know much about nuclear warfare. I was just a kid who liked a good story and who was raised during a time when the "air raid" siren went off every saturday at one p m. It was books like these that caused me to feel a need to live a life where I could more or less provide for myself. I have since researched the effects of DDT and must agree with those who say it should never have been banned.

14. oz in SC

OOOHHH you are in TROUBLE!!!

LOL...

Sorry but DARE to question the sacred text and writing of Carson is bordering on heresy...

15. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I'll try again....right..wrong ...or indifferent...Oz have you ever read the book?

Sisterpine do you then believe that the shift in raptor demographics during DDT use then the reversal of that trend once DDT was banned was merely coincidence?

16. oz in SC

Funny how you cannot answer....

17. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Which part(s) of the book? At the time the book wsa written there was little data...or studies on wildlfie impacts of DDT....since the writing many...but not all of her observations were proven to be correct. So which part of the book are you referring too? If you've read it we can discuss the various sections which were right and those that were not....if you've never read it then it would be pretty pointless to try and talk to you about the content of a book you've never read.

Funny you cannot answer a simple question like "Have you ever read the book?....LOL

18. sisterpine

I do not "believe" either way. I do believe that God is in charge of extinctions and such, not man kind. I do believe that removing DDT did cause a surge in insect population growth which did increase the chance of mammels contracting possible fatal illnesses. I think that once the DDT was removed from the market the bugs had a growth explosion that might not have occurred otherwise. And that due to this explosive growth more than a usual number of people contracted fatal illnessess and died thereby enlarging the insect population of the planet which as a consequence reduced the human population of the planet. You tell me, who gets to decide which is more important: human or insect existance?

19. oz in SC

20. sisterpine

Oz thanks for the link, i am headed off shortly to read it. I did read the book and may even still have a copy in my "trunk of doom" as I call it. For some unfathonable reason I saved all the doom and gloom books of my youth (in case i ever felt the need to get really depressed i guess). I realize that some of what she says in the book makes good sense. The woman was not an idiot after all. Neither am I , therefore I am able to analyze and deliberate prior to making up my own mind about my feelings and thoughts on a topic. I like her style of writing I just dont think it was such a good idea for her to jump up on the bandwagon prior to all of the research being completed. That research probably lasted way beyond her lifetime.