Raccoons !!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SDjulieinSC, Dec 5, 2005.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I just spent lthe last 20 minutes writing a terribly clever story here with the bottom line being A friend called me this weekend needing help getting rid of raccoons, guess my computer ate it, the story not the raccoon.
    The short version goes like this........has cats as ratters, feeds them in the old meat cooler/hanging room attached to the back of her house. They have to be fed there so as not to encourage the coyotes to come in, they have a huge problem with them dragging off lambs.
    Seems raccoons have discovered the feeding area and now will not go away. She has changed storage conainers and the like but they still come in.
    I told her I had no idea what to do but that I had some friends that I know will have the answer!!!!!!!! OK guys...GO FOR IT!!!! (Thanks)

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

We live in the forest.We have raccoons that think under my house is where to be.
    They harbor disease( RABIES big time!),they mess with the wiring,thump around all night.

I catch them in the havaheart trap,and relocate them to a lake area IN THE FOREST,7 miles or so away.

No,Im not killing them,nor am I putting them in someone elses neighborhood.Im giving them a chance to live without human contact.

Yes,I know Im going to get fried for this,so be it.I'd be happy to send them to you if you find it a problem,they arent welcome in my house.They are destructive pests.

BooBoo

3. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

You're going to get a lot of different options here. We had a raccoon problem this year. There were so many of them (11) that trapping would have been difficult. I don't really care to shoot wild animals but when they threaten my domesticated critters I will.

We did have one bite both of our dogs. I took the head of the dead 'coon to the State Dept of Health to be tested for rabies. They told me, at least in Indiana, they hadn't had a raccoon come up positive for rabies in almost 25 years. Still, better safe than sorry.

4. mightybooboo

A few years back our population was wiped out by rabies.
    Thats dangerous stuff,dont want it around for sure.
    I HATE raccoons.

BooBoo

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I love raccoons. Baked with sweet potatoes, carrots, onions and regular potatoes all packed in stuffing. Good bar-b-qued too.
    I'm laughing at the seven mile release. My dogs have chased raccoons farther than that in one night before treeing them. A male raccoon has approx. a 25 mile area for his normal domain. Seven miles is a normal night's prowl for him. Best to trap and kill.

6. SDjulieinSC

I think that I forgot to mention that she is California, so I'm not sure how legal the relocate thing would be. Guess we would have to be sneaky!!
    I am in South Carolina and last year we had a raccoon come INTO the office at work!!! Not just any raccoon either!! One of the supervisors was walking out onto the back dock, when he opened the door he was attacked by it. It chased him back into the office and put several people on their desks. She was finally cornered in a kitchen area, animal controll and DEHEC (SP?) were finally able to catch her. Due to the fact that is was the middle of the afternoon and she was very aggressive they had her shot and tested...sure enough she was positive for rabies!!! HAd I not been working there I would never have believed the story, rabies is almost non existant in CA. Not the case here in SC. The man that was attacked had some injuries on his leg and endured several months worth of shots but is ok. Poor guy, he still gets made fun of and gets alot of raccoon gifts!
    I told my friend to be careful with her dogs as I have heard from the raccoon hunters here that they can kill a dog. True?

7. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

I have a racoon problem as well, I have been told to put an electric fence around the area I want them out of. Maybe in the spring I`ll try it.

8. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes coons can kill dogs. From what I've heard, never seen it myself, a coon will swim into deep water with the dog following. Once they are out so far the coon supposedly climbs on the dogs head and drowns it.

9. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

My answered would be S.S.S.. WE were eat up with coons untill my 2 neighbors and myself took matters into our own hands.

10. mightybooboo

Tried the electric fence,they were too smart for that.But it did knock a guy off a ladder,he was climbing up with a coffee can of nails to do some roofing next door,he set the can on 2x4 rail with wire inside my fence.We came home to find nails and can in yard.She told me she had 'dumb and dumber' working on her roof and what happened.

Raccoons were smarter,they could avoid my wires all day/night long.

As for range,didnt know that,but I dont think any were returnees,never know though.I know for sure we got rid of Mom and three kids once.As for ranging,once they got here,they never left.Had neighbors who fed them,thanks a bunch!

BTW,we checked with animal control,its OK here to trap them,they even used to loan traps but not anymore.

We catch/release about 2 a year now,not hard to keep up with.They really like dried cat food,fwiw.

BooBoo

11. mightybooboo

Im with you on that,but firing guns here is not an option.

BooBoo

12. SDjulieinSC

Thanks Boo Boo! My friend lives in San Diego County, between Poway and Ramona so I guess if you can trap and relocate where you are so can she. Will she notify anyone before doing it or just go for it? I am going home for Christmas so I guess that can be our project! Last year we were shooting coyotes!! Another thank you to all of the people who feed wildlife 'cause they think its "neat", then get upset when their cat is hauled off. Coyotes are a real problem for her too. Bummer that we cant get them to eat the coons!

13. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

kind of makes you wanna watch "where the red fern grows" again, don it?

14. mightybooboo

Different county,but if I were you,I would just do it and keep quiet about it.Poway area is pretty rural yet,isnt it,I cant remember.But if you can shoot coyotes,dont think anyone will notice a few raccoons disappearing.No neighbors to hear? I'd shoot the little terrorists. :nana:

BooBoo

15. mightybooboo

"Where the Red Fern Grows tells the the exciting story of 10-year old Billy living in the Ozark Mountains during the Great Depression. After saving for two years Billy earns enough money to buy two hound pups, Ol'Dan and Li'l Ann. Together Billy and these two hounds go coon hunting almost daily. They even enter a coon hunting tournament. Read Where the Red Fern Grows to see if this young boy and his two coon hounds can beat the older contestants ....."

My kind of story,LOL. :bow:

BooBoo

16. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a problem with "Coon's" Asking them to please leave--------Will Not work--I promice. I love watching them------------have ALOT of pictures of them eating on the corn pile I put out for the wild life, with a camera there to take pic's at night. BUT, when they crossed the line----I take care of Business. The coon's started getting my chickens, guinea's etc----I lost way to many----I got --------Upset-----I killed 8 coons in 5 nights within 200 yards of my "Bird" pins-------I was nice about it----I let them lay where they were shot------to send a message to the others---Didn't work-------bussards sure loved them. I have not lost another chicken to the coon's or possums since. Got a Problem with a Hawk though------Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Randy

PS---It would be hard for a coon to kill a average dog on dry land, but it is possible to loose a dog in water fighting a coon---The coon will try to stay out the water and grab hold of the dog's head and hold it under. My 84lb pit bull Loves to take care of them------usually a coon will last 20 seconds. GoooooooooooooD Doooooooog!!!

17. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

thanks for the info about the electric fence not working, I figured they might be to smart.
    I guess I will have to start hunting them before they shutdown for the winter. or I will loose my cats and chickens in the spring. Dont ya think it would have been nice is the little :soap: would have at least eaten the packrats that moved into the barn before eating my chickens!!?? :stars:

18. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

......special kitty food........ :viking: makes them tame as anything. :D

19. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:viking:

My dog is too small to defend herself against a raccoon or a coyote so I will shoot any that I see. I WILL do anything necessary to protect my pets or livestock.

:viking:

20. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

just my thoughts on rabies and the authorities. i live in south central pa. i have personally killed one animal that has tested possitive for rabies several years ago. i chased a rabid raccoon through my neighborhood on a sunny winter day with snow on the ground. it was odd.

there was also a small stray dog and several cats and countless other
    "goofy" animal sitings. at the time around the entire area, 3 states, other people had similar experiences. the presence of rabies was always denied by the authorities until a child actually was bitten by a rabid kitten and had to undergo the treatment. after that we "had a small problem".

in actuallity rabies has always been around this area and probably always will. i just think it is rediculous for the authorities to denie it's existence or presence. they just did not want to take the heat from the public and or actually have to do something about it. the focus on wildlife in this area (pennsylvania) is to sell hunting licenses. over a million get sold here every year. ( i paid $46 dollars this year, do the math on that one).

but anyway...always assume rabies is in your area. it is just safer that way. never trust assurabnces from the authorities that it has not been around for x number of years. they just do not want to get their hands dirty.