raccoons and possums

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by caroline00, Jun 4, 2005.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we have a have a heart trap...
    we cant trap them

they know to look for us and we have been unable to shoot them

how else to get rid of them from our porch?

thanks

2. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

They mostly come for FREE FOOD..... so why are they there....? If you haven't fed them maybe they have become habitated at some one elses dog food dish...We had 2 last fall ..both youngsters that wanted to camp,but they went their way when the chow hall closed.. A friend with birds uses the little electric fence charger & runs wire on the outside of his pens & it works great for both possums & racoons..they cost about $20....GrannieD

3. caroline00

we've had catfood out but started bringing that in during the night about 2 weeks ago.

WE are going out of town for 4 days the week after next and were planning to leave the cats and food outside for those 4 days but we cant right now because of the animals hanging around...

any suggestions for our cats?
    thanks

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you put the cats in the barn? Or in a room in the house for the four days?

I feed my cats and dogs outdoors, but don't have any problem with coons and just the occasional possum. The dogs will kill anything strange that comes up. This year so far they've killed three coons.

They don't seem as bothered by the possums and the cats couldn't care less about sharing their bowl with a possum. In fact, I have a baby possum in a chicken cage right now. Found him in the garage one morning when he was a tiny thing. When he's big enough to fend for himself (that day is rapidly approaching) I plan to set him free down in the woods. I don't mind possums and coons. The dogs keep them away from the chickens and I have enough catfood to share.

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

To catch a raccoon in your Hav-a-hart trap, put 1/2 of a glazed honeybun into the back of the trap-----works everytime for me.

The best thing for the cats is to have a neighbor to feed them early in the day while you are away, but only what they will eat--not alot extra. I built a automatic feeder that drops food into their pan. Its hooked to a timer that I set and set the amount that is dropped--Works good! Randy

6. caroline00

we dont really have neighbors and I cant see having someone drive over here for cats that should be able to take care of themselves...

I may end up having them in the house...

I dont really mind feeding the coons for those 3 days except for the large amount of food that would have to be left out.. Actually, I have no idea how much food would need to be left out. The other hting is tht the coons overturn the water all the time....

7. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hi " caroline, LOL, I don't know where you live as far as the general area?..but leaving out any kind of food is a really bad idea. Not only do you encourage the smaller wildlife to hang around and this spreads parasites and disease among them and can be really bad news to your cats too. But not only do coons and opossums love cat food but Rats and mice just love it too.

Raccoons can and do carry and spread distemper and I consider that a bigger risk than rabies as it's so easily spread by just spoor and the like.

A funny story.....I have a friend across the valley from me, known this couple for 15 years. She is just a softie for all kinds of animals and would leave food out for kitties and any coons and possums that needed it etc, About 10 years ago she got up one morning and a cougar was sitting on her deck with a cat in it's mouth.... Said "Thanks for breakfast" and left. LOL

That Fall a bear showed up, just a young black bear...they like cat food too. LOL It would run away of course and everyone was fascinated by this bear, they are pretty cute.

Then another bear came, and another. That was a few years ago and now there are usually 10 to 16 bears around her place at any given time. She absolutely will not do anything to harm them..won't call Fish and Wildlife and frantically takes several hundred pounds of dog food out and dumps it for those bears. LOL Needless to say this is a secret from the neighbors.

One morning there were two yearling bears and an older male there on her deck, and there was some funny noises coming from up the hill from her house..it's surrounded by timber...and the two young bears looked terrified and charged off down hill and the adult male panicked and ran right over my friend and right through her closed patio doors into her dining room and over the top of her dh, and went out the picture window in the living room! My friend picked herself up, bruised but unhurt and there standing over her was a female bear with two young cubs!

The other bears knew what was coming and got outta town! LOL Luckily, no one was hurt and the momma settled for her dish of blackberry jam and my friend made it into the house and got her dh picked up off the floor and then the repair on the glass started.

I have lots of stories and pictures about MF and her bears and to this day she still has bears around all over the place.

Steve Irwin, the Croc hunter, heard about these bears while in the States, just go so excited that he took his film crew over there for Bear Footage. Not a bear to be seen! They all disappeared! LOL

So, I know you would not be silly enough to put out food especially for, or encourage this type of stuff on purpose but if you are in an area with bear and other predators, it's not a good idea to leave food out. The predators who don't care to eat cat food will still be drawn in to hunt the other critters who do like the stuff.

Be careful...

LQ

8. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

what are you using for bait? i am a trapper, and some i like to use that work very well for coon and possums are peanutbutter&jelly sandwiches, marshmellows (the big ones), jack mackeral, canned cat food, golf balls (white ones), and anise oil on bread or cotton ball. these are some of the baits i use the most in cage traps for them with the most success. good luck.

9. AKvsAR

AKvsAR New Member

It isn't that nice, but a bowl of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) will lure them, because of the sweet smell and taste, and kill them also. If you choose this route, please contain your pets inside.

10. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Using antifreeze as a pesticide is 100% ILLEGAL :bash:

11. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

baronsmom is rite using any poisons is illegal, also someone elses pet my drink it. also it is not humane, dont make the animal suffer any more then you have to. just keep trying to trap them ans if you cant find someone in the area who is experienced to do it for you. i do alot of out of season trapping for people in my area free of charge for pests. if you need help locating aa trapper, look up your state trapping association. most have a list of trappers who are willing to do it, if not i may be able to help you in locating a trapper.