Raccoon in Farm Outbuilding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ArtfulDodger, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ArtfulDodger

ArtfulDodger Member

2. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

Your patience is amazing. My wife saw one climbing in our garage and I took care of it (using the method you didn't want to do). My children and wife's safety mean alot more to me than a varmit. Just my .02 worth.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

You shouldn't!

Why do you want to push your problem onto someone else.

Do you like stangers releasing animals in front of your place?

Kill him yourself or send him to animal control to do it for you.

4. robinkd2

robinkd2 Active Member

Try using sardines for bait. They love it. If I were going to release it, I'd do it in a national park or something like that. If you catch it, check the whole building to make sure it is alone and not a mother. Robin

5. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

I hate raccoon . In the last year I have lost over 20 birds to them I got 5 of them so far..4 to 1 no so good but i will keep trying Oreos xookies work real well as do honey buns They seeb to like the little debbie one better Lol

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

In many states it's illegal to release an aminal anywhere but where you trapped it.

http://www.cnwcoa.org/proper_handling.htm

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

they ate 6 of my ducks this week.....

Ive fine tuned my scope... there will be blood tonight.

I wonder if I should skin em and cook em up, Ive never ate coon before.

my uncle sez it tastes like greasy squirrel.

kinda doesnt sound to good.

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd try to find where she's getting in first. She may have a litter this time of year. If it were in my barn I'd wait till they were all out and then seal the barn.
    Either way seal the barn.
    If you need to catch her, find an area with plenty of cover so she won't get eaten by coyotes the first night. She'll need to get her bearings as she's been living in a mansion!
    We grew up with raccoons eating our grapes. I always liked them. There are ways to outsmart them. They can be ferocious looking and can easily kill a cat if threatened, but theres no need to actually fear them. Just don't try to tame one.

As for eating- you are what you eat. They are scavangers. That's one step weirder than eating wolf/cougar/bear meat. At least you're not wasting it!

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the little bas+ard should taste like DUCK... he ate enough of them.

10. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've caught 4 in the last two weeks, cleaned out my ducks and my bantam chicks. They are now the main dish for the buzzards. This morning it was an opossum. I'll keep the trap baited and the rifle loaded for a few more weeks. As for bait, I've been getting mine with vienna sausage and a few pork chop bones. Don't know if they taste well but come winter and I catch one I'm gonna do the proper KY thing and turn one into a hat.

11. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yea that would be normal behavior.Id imagine he/she doesn't perceive you to be much threat while he/she is up in the rafters over head and your on the ground.
    Wonder if you could convince him/her that your shed isn't such a good place to sleep off the day,by putting a radio (playing loud) in there.Or maybe soak the little bugger down with the garden hose,every time you see it.They like water but not in a straight stream. :D
    Maybe spray some room deodorizer up in there while he is out for the night.Might not want to return to the new fresh smelling place he has been calling home.

honestly i hate to say it but it is better to shoot them than to relocate them.Unless its close by.Not out of what might be there home range.
    Reason being is if its sick/diseased/or anything like that you could spread it further by relocating him.Right now the coons around my mom place have something that makes them act like they have distemper.Stupid game warden only had the first dead one checked for Rabies.Honestly what do we pay them for it sure isn't to help the wild life.Oppd ranting again.Sorry. :angel:

Ive heard they where crazy about marshmallows.But i new a guy that used to bait them with a can of sardines.They sure work well and smell strong to!

12. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I just shot a very large coon off the top of my henyard fence last night. I think he'd been fattening himself on the hen feed.

Finally got one of my own against those masked bandits. He and his compadres ate a lot of my birds in the past.

.....Alan.

13. scaryguyoy

scaryguyoy Well-Known Member

TAke a water bottle and fill it with a little cat food then put that in the trap that way they must go into the trap to get the food not just shake it around to get it out.The best place to release them is by the side of a body of water .They dont have to be alive to release them
    scary

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

"My name is ComfortablyNumb Montoya. You killed my ducks. Prepare to die."

heh...

15. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

16. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I guess I like them so much because around here they aren't even predators. They eat garbage and fruit off the tree. There are enough 'serious' predators around to keep their numbers on check. By serious I mean things that eat raccoons. They never seem to stay around more than 1-2 weeks.

17. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

:p

Inconceivable!

.....Alan.

18. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

No more rhymes and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut?

19. robinkd2

robinkd2 Active Member

James suggests maybe Peeps marshmallow ducks for bait. hahahaha.

Seriously, the radio should work unless there is a litter. Man's aftershave in the hollow where it hides might work also. Be sure and stake the live trap as I have seen them pulling it out through the woods instead of entering it.

20. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :)

(Shoot the varmint, they are bad about carrying rabies. "Varmint" is a variation of the word "vermin." Raccons qualify.)