raccons & rabbit cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by okiemom, Jan 28, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hi

I just got 6 does and I am needing advise on the best way to proceed. I orginally wanted to let the bunns have the run of the coop floor ( colony style) then decided cages might be better. I am to put the cages in the 8x8 cicken coop. I am worried about disease. So, I have a 12x12 old horse stall that would be good. I can hang the cages from the ceiling. Problem. I lost many chickens in the stall before I found out raccons etc. could get in. I now have the chickens in the middle of the pasture surrounded w/ elect netting and the dogs keep the critters out. I have not lost one to critters. I do not want to find bunnies ripped out of their cages by raccons. can they get their hand in to harrass the bunns if the cages are truly rabbit cages? How do you keep your cages safe? Thanks. Katharine

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Racoons are very good at OPENING cages, not just reaching in. They are also extremely strong, and could take two sides of the cage and bend it, even if it is a rabbit cage. You simply have to have them in a secure area. Don't know what to recommend for you....

3. safehavenfarm

safehavenfarm Larry Christine and Sarah

Well we took an old 6 wide 10 long 6 high chainlink dog kennel that had been purchased from wal mart. We went back and added a couple of pieces of cross tubing on the top the same size as the fencing tubing for the top to bolt to. We ran 2x4 boards across the tubing and fastened it with rigid pipe clamps. Then we just screwed sheet metal on to the 2x4 to make a sturdy dry roof. If you are as paranoid about predators as we are since we have quite a large number of coyotes that roam through on a regular basis you can add a flap of chainlink to pull back over the entrance to the kennel. And if you want to go as far as we did you can get fence stays and pull chainlink through under the bottom to secure that to. I know some of you are saying that is over kill but maybe it is cause i am a deputy and like things secure. But like i told DW if something gets in there it deserves what it went there for. But it wont get out fast enough that i cant get a shot off at it.

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Here is something else a raccoon does... (besides opening the door) a raccoon gets under the cage and grabs a tuft of the fur on the foot. The raccoon then begins to pull down on the tuft to get a better grip on the fur...pretty soon the foot has been pulled though the cage and off of the rabbit...not so lucky rabbit foot..as the rabbit is now footless. They do the same thing to the heads of chickens.

Raccoons can morph through the smallest of cracks and have nothing better to do all night long then to try to undo everything you have done the day before!

Raccoons are territorial and will not usually return night after night but every few days. You can trap them using a can of cat food but if you have cats that have access to the trap...you better believe sometime in the middle of the night the cat will be trapped. Marshmellows is a pretty safe bet but don't attract the raccoon like cat food does...though they are curious creatures.

Is there an answer? sure, secure your stall...which is now a rabbitry. Have a Have-A-Heart trap on hand...ya never know if you will need it, put up security lights with motion sensors (if possible), keep a gun loaded and ready (strap a flashlight onto it...raccoons eyes shine in the dark...be sure to check the trees...aim to hit the target), have a dog that is able to partol the farm, and bark like crazy.

My predator problem finally stopped when I got livestock guradian dogs.
    http://lgd.org