rabies vaccine

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dale anne, Apr 28, 2005.

1. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy ya'll i was reading on another forum where it was suggested to give goats rabies vaccine...do i need to? and if so whats the dosage for pygmy and nubians...also is it the same stuff i can buy at the co-op for dogs?......i give annual shots but not sure i am giving them all that is needed...whats your annual shot records look like?...i give perfringes c&d tetnus toxiod..pro bois-agrimycin when needed..worming...mineral block[free choice]...sulfur block free choice]...baking soda free choice....am i missing anything here...ohhh also give wheat germ oil once a week in feed about 1 tsp...thanks in advance dale anne

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I started with Rabies vacs last year on my little herd due to several rabid animals being in the area. The vet does all of mine...he's coming tomorrow and I'll ask him what the dosage is and pos if no one else answers beforehand.

3. dale anne

Thanks alot.....I dont have any rabbid critters around that I know of....but i do live in the woods so it is always possible i reckon....I give my own shots so would be helpful if knew the dosage ...into the muscle or under the skin shot?...I am going to vet tech school but havent come to shots yet...I was a medic but that was for people lol....i can give shots just have to know where and what dosages...thanks dale anne

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If I lived in a state like you DaleAnn where I could give my own rabies vaccines I likely would do it. But alas in Texas it would mean a vet visit, and she physically has to give each shot, no way around it. I somehow don't think large herds give rabies to their 1000's of goats out in West Texas :)

Lots of vet are primarily pet vets, few are livestock vets. My livestock vet simply says there isn't a rabies vaccine for goats, so you would like me to make up what? :) She is great! I follow the rules of the Texas Animal Health Commission, they have never asked for goats to be vaccinated for rabies to be shown, to move interstate, for health certificates to fly. So the answer is no I don't use it.

I do vaccinate with CD&T. I use Lysigin yearly on my does for staph. I have in the past used a pnemonia vaccine. I believe in prevention. Vicki

5. dale anne

Howdy...thanks alot vicki...guess i will pass on the rabies shot....I also believe in prevention and try to be ready for anything. I have more drugs for my goats[just in case things] then i do for myself...please tell me more about the lysigin shots...i keep 2 anti biotics on hand both cover phemonia but wasnt aware of a vaccine for it...please let me know where to get such things as i would surly like to give them those shots...thanks dale anne