rabies shots and puppies

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by SquashNut, Dec 11, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

We just brought home a 10 week puppy from the humane society. She is very healthy and they fixed her already.
    Is it ok to wait to go to the vet till she needs her rabies shot or does she need a check up right off.
    We are to far away from the vet they recomend. ( a free visit) So we would take her to our own vet ( this would cost us).
    She has had one puppy shot and is due for another Dec. 24th. But we give those ourselves. We also have wormer that we bought at the vet for our other dogs. The wormer is by weight, so it is good for puppies.
    I was suprised to see in another thread that rabies shots should wait till 6 monthes of age. I am sure we don't want to wait till then to have a healthy baby check up. But I don't want to run up vet bills for no reason.

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new pup!!

You don't have to wait until after 6 months. That is just my preference. I also would NEVER give Rabies with another set of shots, or any other type of stress or illness.

I lost my heart-dog to what I now feel was overdoing the shots so I now lean in the other direction. Most vets do give rabies at around 16 weeks. I am not a vet so take your vets recommendations.

I just took a dog to the vet for Rabies. It cost me a whopping $10.50.

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Also, wanted to add that if they spayed her, then she has already had her healthy checkup, I wouldn't do another.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I'm sure the shelter gave her a cursory exam, but I always recommend that ANY new pup whether from breeder or shelter go for a quick check up ASAP after getting them. That way if anything bad was missed at the shelter, hopefully your vet can find it before you get really attached to the pup. Rabies is typically given between 12-16 weeks of age and at 10 weeks the pup won't have finished it's puppy vaccs. yet. If you go in for just an exam you should ask what the cost difference is between a regular exam and a puppy exam with a DHPP shot (it might be the same or less than buying the shot at the feed store and paying for a regular exam).

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

It's too late we are already attached. No matter how many pups we get The puppy stage is still so fun.
    She is such a cutie.