Rabies Risk

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by the mama, May 16, 2006.

1. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I just lost my 2 yr/old herd dog. He chased and bit a rabid racoon. He chased it into my Uncle's yard and his dog killed it. So both our dogs had to be put down. The county agent said rabies vaccines from the farm store do not count. It has to be from a vet and documented yearly. If my dog had had this documentation, I would have been able to keep him cage quarintined for 6 months! Since the racoon tested positive, it would have been his recomendation to put the dogs down anyway for safety. Ha!! Now my goat and chickens have no protection. There are no ways to control spread of rabies in wild animals, so now its the 3 s's for anything that doesn't belong. I have 11 cats and worry about them now. Most are barn cats but all are tame and petable. I hope this is not the begining of a long season of events. I posted this so others could learn just what to do to protect their dogs. :shrug: :flame:

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Where are you located??? Theres already been one Person who has died from Rabies here in Texas this year, Like you said lets hope its A mild year for this, As there is A understanding In this Area any strays Are shot on site when the warnings for rabies is listed.. Sorry your Pup had to be put down, Maybe there might be A good one come up on the board near you soon.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We're having a rash of rabid raccoons here in NW MS too. Our dogs have already found two dead raccoons. Fortunately, we take them to the vet yearly for their rabies vaccine (it's the law). I worry about our cats too. I know that two of them are due for their rabies vaccine, but I'm not sure how we'll get one of them in a cat carrier. She is friendly to us, but doesn't like to be picked up. Since we got her she's never left the barn. I imagine she'll go nuts at the vet's office.

I am so sorry you and your uncle lost your dogs.

4. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

See if you can find a vet who will make a housecall. KEEP THE KITTIES VACCINATED FOR RABIES!!! We see a lot more feline rabies in the US than canine rabies, and they tend to be very aggressive, attacking and biting. Very dangerous situation.

We have bat rabies here in SoCal, and I insist that my clients keep kitties up to date on rabies - not a state or local law, but MY law. If they don't want to do it, they are free to go elsewhere.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Many states don't even allow sales of rabies vaccines. I wish that states would recognize the 3 year vaccine instead of making it an annual shot. My dogs are all vaccinated when the horse vet makes a farm call though and its only $10 per dog- saves me the gas and time of taking them to a vet so it is well worth it. I'm sorry you had to put down your dogs because of this. Farm stores should put their pertinent state information on coolers so people can become aware that the only rabies vaccines recognized by states is one administered by a licensed veterinarian. Is there any state or country at all that will recognize a rabies vaccine administered by anyone else?

6. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I'm in Florida. Union County, middle of north Florida.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Tango, here in MS we can get the three year vaccination which is what we do for our dogs and cats.

I do plan to get Esther (our barn kitty) vaccinated, probably next week. We had to get Frontline and have two animals spayed this week, plus puppy shots for Brawn. Quite a hefty vet bill, not to mention time consuming! We'll take the two cats in next week. The other four cats are up to date on their shots.

8. RockysMom

RockysMom Well-Known Member

We take our dogs to the local feed store. Once a month, the mobile vet comes and gives the shots for $9.95 each. TX does recogonize the 3 year shot. The case of rabies in TX was in Houston, the story is a boy, JR in HS, was sleeping with his window open and the bat flew in and bite him. He did not survive the expermintal treatment used.

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

We get our dogs the three year rabies, but the cats only get the one year? I didn't even know there was a three year for cats...

10. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

In our county it is the law that they must have their rabies given by a vet. We are however able to administer all other shots. I just find it easier to let them do it and then they can check the dogs over for other things and in an emergency I have a vet that knows my dogs. My vet uses the one year on pets that are questionable as to whether they have had shots before and then administers the 2 years rabies after that.