Rabbits

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Jul 22, 2005.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

My beautiful broccoli and brussels sprouts,okra have been eaten by rabbits.I have tried everything.The fox urine did not work this year,we have had so much rain.
    I did put some orange wind fence over what is left of a row of brussels sprouts,it scared them away the first night.I think I will get everyone around here to save me the net produce bags,and sew them together to make a row cover,next year.

2. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

A. Floating row covers - nothing bothers them much with row covers including insects

B. No money for row covers? - resale shops sell sheer curtain panels real cheap.

Above two need lots of rocks. Have plenty if you would like some. Only have to pay shipping :p

C. Sheep/hog/cattle panels - you can sometimes pick up a couple of them at an auction cheap. The bottom is closely spaced and keeps small critters out and deer can't reach. Put them teepee style over your produce.

Wish I could do a picture but I will try to explain mine. Have a real problem with rabbits and deer. I put up panels vertical attached to t-posts. On them I grow peas and pole beans. Next to them I grow lettuce, beets, bush bean spinach etc. etc. More panels are leaned up to the vertical panels teepee- like enclosing all. (an A) I close the ends with some pieces of old fence and it keeps everything out and saves water. You can attach sheer curtain panels with clothes pins to shade lettuce and the like when it gets real hot also.

For things like asparagus that the deer or rabbits were eating, I laid panel horizontal on top of some rocks. Panels aren't high enough for the rabbits to get under very well and the deer don't like to stick their heads into the panels. Once up a ways they don't bother it.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Dogs are good, but even so I had to keep a fairly open garden plan so the dog could see them. It helped that I had a fenced yard, too, so that he stayed close to home.

4. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

we have 3 lazy dogs,they only chase UPS,mailman,trash truck.
    I thought of the sheer curtins today will keep a lookout for them at thrift shops and yard sales.
    I could use a few of the rocks but shipping would cost a fortune :rolleyes:
    maybe I will just make the lazy dogs lay on it.