Rabbits?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scottdoyle, Nov 17, 2004.

1. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

Can you leave a male and female rabbit together and let them ...well ...procreate or do I have to keep them seperate and put them together when the doe is in heat?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

As a kid I raised rabbits. I kept each in a separate hutch. When the doe was in heat, I introduced the doe to the buck's hutch if I wanted them to breed and then after breeding, the doe would go back to her hutch. Nesting would follow about a month later you would hopefully have a litter of newborn bunnies. That is how you can control their procreative abilities.
    I'm sure others here are more expert about keeping rabbits that will help you further with advice.

3. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Yes, you can keep them together. The main reason for keeping them apart is to control their breeding and genetics. As the young grow they will be bred as well so you'll need to harvest regularly to control things. The big advantage to keeping the rabbits together is the upkeep is (or can be) easier and their winter survival rates tend to be higher. Of course this depends on exactly how you plan on keeping them and what facilities you have. Personally I'm in favor of penned colony raising for home food production. The ability for the rabbits to burrow (therefore self-regulating their temperatures) and the decreased human input needed makes that system much more attractive to me. If however you have goals other than personal meat production in mind chances are that won't be the best way for you to proceed.

J

4. TINYMARIA

TINYMARIA Active Member

Check out this website. It has a alot of rabbit info. You can also go to "Raising rabbits for profit" on the homesteading site. Just have to scroll down to find it from were you posted this one. There is alot of people who raise rabbits that go there and have lots of info. But realize that it is NOT a pet rabbit forum.

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/rabbits.htm

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have always heard that a doe will drive the buck away from her nesting spot. The trouble with 2 rabbits in a smallish cage is that the buck cannot get away from the nest, and she can hurt him badly.

But, many people have kept rabbits in a large outside pen and they have gotten along. Mind, they tend to burrow out, but they have gotten along. :haha: