rabbits

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cwgrl23, May 19, 2004.

1. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

My neighborhood seems to be overrun with rabbits. There is some living under my shed. I have 2 huge dogs back there but the bunnies are not scared. How do I keep them out of my garden? I already have stuff planted and can't afford to create raised beds for all of it this year. Is there anything I can plant on the perimeter that they don't like and will keep them out? I am open to all suggestions!

2. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Cwgrl23
    This is not to answer your question, but to give you a heads up. I have watched nature many times where there is suddenly an abundance of rabbits, you will find the fox population will increase and do away with the rabbits, then either rabies or distemper will kill off the foxes. So be on the lookout. I have very seldom seen this fail.
    John#4

3. cwgrl23

The only problem is we don't really have any foxes in the area as I live in town.

4. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

The coyotes are their natural predator too, but if you have very large dogs the coyotes might not come close enough to get these. My dogs hunt them and kill them.
    It might be better to put up a chicken wire fence around the perimeter of your garden, you'll have to bury it at least a foot. This probably won't stop them completely, but it might slow them way down. The only other thing to do would be to get a dog that will kill them. My Lab loved them and my Lab mix just loves to kill rodents of ANY kind.

5. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

If you can place something near the garden that they will eat and then dust it with Cayenne Pepper them will avoid the area.

6. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

Also, growing Cayenne around interspersed with your plants (Except Tomatoes- they use the same nutrients) and then dry them over winter and next year either crush them again or make Cayenne tea, put it in a sprayer and spray it around your plants. They won't come back. Makes ants pack up and leave too :)

Cayenne is wonderful! I hear it's great for the blood too ~LoL~

~Michael in Boise

7. cwgrl23

As I live in town, we don't have any coyotes. What kind of plant is Cayenne? Will the rabbits stay away from the plant or just the dried form? As my dogs have gotten older, chasing bunnies is no longer a priority to them. :rolleyes:

8. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for that Michael! I hit ants nests twice last week while weeding and planting. I hate poison, so it's nice to have a natural solution!

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

If you live in a town, does it perhaps have Animal control? They may have some ideas. Also, maybe you and your neighbors might want to invest in some traps and dispose of the rabbits that way.

10. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

get 3ft wide chicken wire and fence the garden with it and turn the first foot of it outward on the ground like an L to keep them from digging under.

.22 works well (including air rifles)

11. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Send hubby out and let him "make water" near the garden. It worked great for me last year and dosen't smell.

12. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

See:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/cayenn40.html

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/cayenne.htm

and these on growing it:

http://www.chili-pepper-plants.com/html/hot_peppers.html

http://www.chili-pepper-plants.com/html/growing_peppers.html

I wish you a happy spicy adventure with Cayenne! :>

~Michael in Boise

13. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Have you TALKED to your neighbor? Maybe he/she doesn't KNOW they're coming over and will work with you to rid them from your yard. If you're in town, I'm guessing they're not WILD rabbits..well.. cotton tails; if they are domestic of some kind the neighbor may want them.

Just a thought.

14. Cayenne Peppers. ie Red Peppers, that contain capsaisin.

15. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

the cayenne pepper is a great idea. I tried mixing some cayenne pepper, water and a little dish soap in a spray bottle and sprayed it directly on my plants. Sure gave some rabbit a hot mouth! Ha. Be sure to try it first to make sure it won't burn your plants, and re-apply after every rain.