Rabbits!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jennifer Brewer, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

I'm asking this question for my grandma. Every year the rabbits in her neighborhood go crazy over the stuff she plants, last year, there were no pickled beets for us grandkids. So them'sfightin words for me, gotta figure a way to keep those rascily rabbits out of grandma's garden.

She doesn't have a dog. and the garden itself is not fenced.

What can be done?

I keep asking her if she wants to borrow my dog.... :rolleyes:

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I think a big stew pot is needed

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

...last year, there were no pickled beets for us grandkids.

So the grandkids should fence in the garden for grandma. One inch poultry wire twenty four inches high and buried about six inches into the ground will suffice. Three or four foor steel stakes to hold it up. If you want to get fancy you can run a hot wire just over the poultry wire and even keep out the squirrels and coons.

Much more reliable than hunting or trapping.

.....Alan.

4. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

What I do is puree all the leftover hot peppers each summer and freeze it. When spring rolls around I defrost a little and put it in a spray bottle then fill the spray bottle with water. I spray all my cabbages, brocoli and the like with that once a week and after every rain till they are too big for the rabbits to destroy.
    Good Luck!

Shane

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Great idea like he said bury it mine is on top and the rabbits just go right under it.

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I just use chicken wire and a few sticks around the few things they like, they don't try to get by it much since there's plenty to eat in the lawn right now.

7. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

we're going to help her this weekend. will the 24" be tall enough?

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I've never known a rabbit to hop a fence, but they will go under it if you didn't bury the wire.

.....Alan.