Rabbits sick, dying.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by DandeeRose, Aug 8, 2017.

1. DandeeRose

DandeeRose Well-Known Member

I noticed a few days ago that one of my does was acting odd.She wasn't eating/drinking and hardly moving.I waved it offish was new and always a little odd.Two days after this, I went out to care for her and found her on her side,hardly breathing.I nursed her, separating her and giving her a mix of water, molasses and apple cider vinegar, but she died a few hours later.She may have had diarrhea[a bit of fecal matter around her bottom],but was in a tractor/cage and I wasn't certain. Today one of my young rabbits was found dead in its cage.I fear it may be coccidia[The doe and young rabbit where on the ground], but I was hopping for suggestions.Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:A year ago we bought a breeding pair of NZ's.We bred them once.The buck died in his cage without reason, and when we butchered the babies[and later their mother] they all had fatty spots on their livers.Looking up coccidia I noticed fatty tumors on the infected rabbits livers in pictures matches the kits.The kits where on the ground in tractors and could have spread coccidia into the soil?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

Without opening them up you can't really tell why they die.

3. DandeeRose

DandeeRose Well-Known Member

Got another sick.Opening it up tomorrow.We where gone for a few days and the others where to old to open.[Our sitter certainly wasn't required to! :)]

4. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have them on the ground, then you need to get them into hanging cages or cages with drop pans.
    The soil will have bacteria now and each rabbit that gets sick, keeps spreading the bacteria to others.
    You need to get medicine for the drinking water. You may have to eye dropper some of them.
    A few years ago, I had something similar here. Lost 30 rabbits, all different ages. Mine were in cages.
    I had bought a sick rabbit and did not realize it till after the fact. The teenager I got it from had kept
    her rabbits on the ground. Some rabbits will make it through and others will die in a matter of a few hours.
    You may have to take a sick rabbit or the fecal to a vet and get the right medicine to treat the balance of
    your animals.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If any Animal just lays down and dies real regular there is a problem that only a Vet can decide on what can be done.

I know this cost but this is the only true way to stop the problem.

big rockpile

6. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Its it overly hot where you are?

For everyone:
    Sure would help in a homesteading forum to put your location (state or province) in your profile. Many answers depend on location.

7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

If you suspect coccidiosis? in rabbits? What I have come to do with mine is at least once every six months, I treat them with the blue calf pour in ivormectin. it was recommended to do every three mos. and probably a better practice? This is not an ad! It's just what I have learned to do over the years for coccidiosis! It works wonders for me! I use one drop per every three pounds of animal. maybe a bit more? it depends on the situation? It also eliminates ear mites! So with one medication I can be free of a couple parasites? The pour on calf ivormecton says it's no wait for butchering. So it is supposodly safe to butcher immediatly after use? although I would wait a min. of ten days myself! Not trying to push a product! just mentioning a solution I have found that works for me. you have to keep the product in a cupboard where it won't freeze, or get too Hot. like a medicine cabinet? hehe I also watched a tv show, monsters inside me. where they used it on a fella that had a parrisite crawling around in his eyes? and no way to treat it? A dr. with a Vet. friend was using the ivomrctin on cows for parrisites? the dr. contacted the Fda and got approval for the man to try since there was NO known cure and it would be fatal if not treated?? he used it, and it cured him!, I will say if you spill it on your hand and don't. wash imm. you can taste it in your mouth shortly after!! hehe yuk! guess I shouldn't get coccidiosis? or ear mites? haha best wishes ray
    r