rabbits or groundhogs are eating

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Jun 16, 2004.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

My garden,they got my few hills of peas last nite,they were blooming too.I covered my corn with netting to keep the crows off till it came up.Now that I have removed the net the rabbits and groundhogs are having a picnic.I am making some pepper spray.will it be ok to spray it on corn,beans?I,m just about ready to give up or set in the garden with a gun.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Use the rifle. Don't want to be spittin buckshot at the supper table you know.

3. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Uncle Will,its kinda hard to get out the buck shot.Sometimes ya just have to chew around it.I figured with all the rain we have been getting it would be usless to put pepper spray on the plants anyway,I thought maybe one taste of hot stuff and they would leave my garden alone.I go through this every year :waa:

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't even know rabbits would eat pea and bean plants until our dog died.

I don't know how big your garden is, but this worked for me. I first planted marigolds in the bean bed, zig zagging them. Once they were big enough, I planted by beans (which I had started indoors and sprouted) in between the marigolds. The rabbits left them alone, even after they were taller than the marigolds.

How about hot peppers? You can buy a jar of dried hot pepper pieces and sprinkle them around. I don't think rain will ruin them as fast as the powder. Works with squirrels.

5. Gardenmum

Gardenmum Guest

I have plantede my beans twice now and each time I have had beautiful rows of stems to show for my effort. The local extension office said fence is the only sure thing but some people have had success with dried blood. I already have the pie pans banging in the wind and pinwheels at the ends of the rows.

6. jemma

jemma Guest

I read somewhere that used cat litter around the perimeter would keep rabbits and deer out of the garden. Have never tried it myself as the dogs and cats keep them out of my yard but it would be worth a try.

7. donmruk

donmruk Guest

Garlic interplanting worked for my strawberry problem, so a mix of this and hot peppers sprayed should be a temporary fix.