rabbits not breeding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by okiemom, Oct 14, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

my rabbits are giving me fits. I have 3-5 rabbits that I can't get breed. Is light a factor now??? They are in a carport under pecan trees. The temps are finally down. the bucks are willing but the girls are not! i have tried for a couple of weeks for some. What do I need to try now? Katharine

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Are the does (that is what you call a female rabbit rabbit right?) in heat?

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Are you sure you have girls? :eek:

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Rabbits don't go into heat like other animals. Light probably is the problem. Adding a bulb to bring the light back to 14 hours should help. Letting them run around to get some exercise (in a contained place) might also help. So might grooming. Even if they aren't a fiber rabbit, giving them a brush for a couple of minutes sometimes helps.

5. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

Have you checked the does for signs of being ready to breed or do you just put them in with the buck? If you look at their privates (for the life of me, I can't remember what to call it) and if it is dark pink or purplish, they should be in heat. If you have this coloring and they still won't accept the buck, you can hold them while the buck does his thing. Do you have more than one buck? If so, try different pairs. I had a buck that most all of my does hated. I had to get a different one.
    Beyond this, I don't know what else to tell you. I have raised rabbits for over two years now. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not.

6. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Today is better. Yesterday, I put the doe in the buck's cage and him in her cage. Today I tried to mate them and it worked. yea!!! :goodjob: They had been just next to each other so I didn't think swaping cages would help, but it seemed too. That or it just was now better timing???? :rolleyes: I have tried to understand the color changes but my point of reference is not there. I am tring to see/ understand what red and ready really looks like. :shrug: I am tring this w/ the other does. We will see if it works or was a fluke. Thanks :buds: katharine

7. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad. It took me a long time to be able to tell the difference. I was fortunate to have my cousin who had been raising rabbits a long time before I started. I just kept having her show me how to hold them and how to check. I had to develop my own way of holding the doe in order to check her.
    I also had to learn the difference in coloring. Keep looking at your does and you will be able to tell the difference. It just takes some practice.

8. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

Here is a idea we use take bottom off of one of the cages put that rabbit and cage out in your yard for about two 2 weeks feed only half the feed you normally do because she will be eatin g rass and have fresh air at end 2 weeks take her to the buck and see what happenes