rabbits letting babies die

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by harplade, Jan 22, 2007.

1. harplade

harplade loving life on the farm

had a mother NZ expose her week old babies and let them die. It was a cold night, went out the next day and they were all uncovered and dead. This week, another NZ mother had 12 babies, didn't make a nest, just had them in the box and let them die. Any ideas what this could be? Both have successfully raised babies before. Is it a mineral deficiency or just the luck of the draw?

Thanks, Harplade

2. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

The first was probably an accident, have had it happen with a doe who was a good but inexperienced mother. How deep are your nest boxes? Are they covered? How much fur and bedding did they have? Something could have startled her while she was feeding them and she jumped out pulling them out of their hollow and leaving them uncovered. The second could have been a fluke too, or she could have been frightened, its a shame, its so easy to lose them when its cold. I don't breed in the winter anymore unless I bring them into the garage, lost too many babies for sometimes it seemed no reason at all, it happens. Sorry you lost so many kits.

3. Dale in Ar

Dale in Ar Well-Known Member

Some mothers are like that.The mothers may not like the smell of nest box or they may have been excited.I raised rabbits commercially and had some does who would not have their babies in the boxes.Usually it was bad mothering on the does part and they went to market.I used heated pads under the boxes and heat lamps but they still had their babies on the wire and lost them.So,unless you just want to keep them,I would sell or butcher them.If you keep them plan on spring birthing.