rabbits in winter

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by scottdoyle, Dec 3, 2004.

1. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

I would like to keep rabbits but was wondering how they care for babies in the wintertime. We are talking Canadian winters. They survive in the wild some how do I make them survive in captivity?

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I think it's easier to keep them warm in winter than cool in a hot summer.

You can give them a board to sit on. That's a lot warmer than a wire floor. I give mine warm water twice a day and make sure they always have plenty of food. My rabbitry is drafty but they're fine. They're not in direct wind. We had escaped rabbits living outside for two winters- they're not as fragile as we sometimes think.

If you're breeding you can put a feed bag under the nesting box to keep warmth in and draft out. Pack the box with a lot of nesting material. Be sure your hands are warm when you reach in to count kits. You'll be amazed at how warm a nest is.

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

stuffing the nesting box with lots of hay, the mother will do the rest. Make sure the rabbits do not get wet. If you don't have a building to put then in, then wrap the cages in tarps with the front being open away from the prevailing winds and the bottom of course is open to drop manuare onto the ground.

Something else you can do is bring the doe inside when she kindles, put her back out in her cage and keep the kits in the house. Take the kits out once or twice a day to nurse and bring the nexting box back into the house.

Go ahead and give it a try.