Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rabbits happen to be one of my future projects. It always seems to be a 'future' project because I can never decide on a breed or two. It's always several breeds, hehe. I think I'd like no more than 4 breeds here though.

I have eliminated the angoras and whatnot. Too much work.

I do want at least one breed of edible rabbit, and would like to put quite a few in the freezer and give some away as gifts each year. I'm thinking the NZ for that.

I'm quite taken with the satins and the rexes. But I"m thinking it might be better to get a rarer breed to work with, too. Any suggestions?

Now I just have to find a place for and start collecting supplies for hutches. It still might be a year or so, though. :)

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I can't help it.
I read the subject and I envisioned rabbits in futuristic "Jetson" type outfits with little bubble helmets and space ships.

Need. Coffee.

I'm very new to rabbits myself so can't really help with breed advice. We started out with NZW x Cal and are going to move to a tasty rare breed (American Chinchilla).

We are trying to grow endangered heritage breeds that taste good. We check the ALBC website for the most endangered breeds; some of them are recommended by the Slow Food Ark of Taste.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to recommend the Silver Fox breed as they are hearty & prolific meat rabbits as well as having some of the best fur out there. Plus you would be helping to preserve a breed that is endangered. NZW and Cals are at the top for meat and producing large litters, but I believe the Silver Fox is the best of both worlds...Just my thoughts..Cliff..

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
rabbitgal said:
*I* think you should get Creme d'Argents. :D

Of Course you think that is what she should get :) After all, aren't we all a bit biased towards our 'own kind'?

hmm, you suggested I get Creme D'Argents--saw some at the poultry swap last month-- so maybe later-- but now, I have 27 AmChins!!! :help: Suddenly, my barn runneth over with AmChins!!!! :1pig: :p

Turtlehead, are you SURE you don't want some AmChins like-- RIGHT NOW?

MyGoat-- Do check out the ALBC site--it was breed history and status that helped me decide which one I wanted to focus on. Who knows-- you may even find another goat breed to fall in love with!!! :eek:

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
If I was closer I'd try some AmChins. Saw some at the show that were very nice.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Terry W said:
. Who knows-- you may even find another goat breed to fall in love with!!! :eek:
don't tell me that!!!!!

Hmm, the silver fox do sound good. But where oh where would I find a local breeder? that would be the only hard thing, finding some relitively locally. Creme d'argents are pretty. Hmm....

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I'm waiting on a pair or trio of American Blues. I was thinking about American Chins but decided on the Blues because of the lovely coat color.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I am quickly learning that it's best to get ugly rabbits to send to freezer camp. Otherwise you may find them on your sofa begging for gummy bears! :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I love the Silver Fox fur but mine WILL NOT breed for me. Everyone else in the barn will, but not these girls! Mine will be going by November if this keeps up. I'm sure it's something to do with the particular rabbits I have, though, not SFs in general.

I really like the Standard Rex as a rabbit. Very nice fur and they are a good sized eating rabbit as well. You aren't going to beat a New Zealand for growth, though, so if efficiency or economy really means a lot, you probably should consider them. My other favourite breed is the Harlequin. Just so totally cool to look at! Good eating size, as well.

Jennifer

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
mygoat said:
don't tell me that!!!!!

Hmm, the silver fox do sound good. But where oh where would I find a local breeder? that would be the only hard thing, finding some relitively locally. Creme d'argents are pretty. Hmm....
Where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

Cremes are on the "Watch" list, so they're not as rare as other breeds, but I think the numbers are a little skewed. When they came up with the rabbit breed rankings several years ago, I believe they included the English "Argente Creme" in the Creme d'Argent breed population. I'm not sure if I agree with that or not because the two types are closely related, but the Cremes over here do differ in type and size. There's enough of a difference that I'm sure the ARBA would classify the Argente Creme as a separate breed if they were ever recognized here. A lot of crossbreeding happened in the 30's and 40's too, so I think that would be a factor.

Now that I posted my shameless breed plug :p there really is a lot of good info on the ALBC site (www.albc-usa.org)...pics, breed descriptions, etc. The American Rabbit Breeders Association also lists all recognized breeds on their site at www.arba.net/photo.htm along with links to the individual breed clubs. Good stuff. Most breeds also have their own Yahoo email list and there's also one BIG message board for all the endangered rabbit breeds (www.groups.yahoo.com/group/rarebreedrabbits.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts