Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the grocery today, and saw a box of rabbit from PEL FREEZ, $32.00 for about 4 1/2 lbs
and all they pay us is a little over $1 per pound?

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
My processor pays me about about 1/3 of what he sells the meat for and he's does everything from slaughtering to packaging, marketing, and delivery. :shrug:

If I wanted to buy a rabbit dinner from one of the restaurants he supplies, I'd pay 4 or 5 times what I receive for the live animal. As a consumer at the restaurant, I'm not only paying for the cost of raising the animal, but also my processor's time, his production costs, transportation expenses, the chef's time and expenses, and a reasonable profit so both the restaurant and slaughterhouse can stay in business. Those animals are only going through three hands though -- by the time food gets to the grocery store it's gone through who knows how many middlemen!

Guess you could say that the live animal is to the meat case what a bushel of wheat berries is to a loaf of bread. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.