Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 Lion head rabbits. 4 does and a buck. The buck is 3 months old. The does are from 3-6 months old. Right now all of them are in a large hutch. 6ft x 4ft. They are getting along good. don't really want to separate them. I realize the buck needs to come out or I will have 40 rabbits in a few months, but can I leave the does together as long and they aren't fighting? I have large cages to move breed does to when the time comes. Does anyone else keep their rabbits in colonies? Whats our set up?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those plans are in the works this weekend. This breed seems to be really slow to mature he is a little bitty thing.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We have 2 colonies. One is 10x16 and houses 4 does and a buck. The other colony is 20x26 and houses 5 does and a buck. Both colonies are on concrete floors which makes them easy to clean out and sterilize as necessary. The larger colony has rubber conveyor belt on the walls and the other colony we had to use roofing tin on the walls because the buns were chewing on the conveyor belt....not good. Rabbits do their thing at their own pace. I have found that having a good number of does gives them a break and they tend to kindle in cycles. They keep cooler in the summers, but still tend to take a summer break from having babies. It is much easier to take care of all the rabbits since it is just two spaces to put feed and water. I deep bed in the winter and do a big clean out and scrub down in the spring, then for the summer I lightly bed it so they have some bare spots (they like to stretch out on a cool patch of concrete in the heat of the day). During the summer I keep shavings in the potty areas and clean those out once a week. At the same time I sweep any pellets on the bare floor area and clean out any dirty bedding. We like having the colonies and the buns seems very happy too. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, the building of our first colony is somewhere on my blog under rabbits, complete with pictures.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
X2 on the summer break- have a huge colony set up - 91 inches by6ft..... (wish I had seen that fine tractor style setup before we built this monster) over concrete.....for our meat buns- 2does and a buck, and then a pair of little lionheads (doe and buck) in a wading pool with a sleeping shelf and ag wire ring around it to keep em in--
and yeah no kits- and they have all been in with a buck most of the summer now- I think its just too hot, still 90s much of the day....
(and yeah the lionheads do seem to mature slowly they are soooo teeny)..

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I moved him out yesterday. His boys haven't dropped. I rechecked to make sure he is in fact a buck. He sure is lonely in that little cage.

T

·
0 Posts
I moved him out yesterday. His boys haven't dropped. I rechecked to make sure he is in fact a buck. He sure is lonely in that little cage.

He will be entertaining the ladies in his bachelor pad soon enough, and will forget that he was ever lonely. LOL!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
We had to learn that rabbit parts are different - his boys are up on top and tight next to tummy (not like a dog or goats or bull's)..... they are easier to spot if he has been apart from the ladies and gets to visit one (they get enlarged)...

(just for all you newbies, like myself)....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts