Rabbits dying!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by r.h. in okla., Aug 13, 2006.

1. I'm losing rabbits to the heat! Anyone else having this problem? We've had something like 17 days of extreme heat up to 107 degrees in our area. So far I've lost 5 fryers and one young adult doe that I was going to keep for breeding. I have them under the shadiest part of our property but the extreme heat is just too much for some of them. My breeders are not eating as much and mostly just drinking lots of water. I'm trying to water at least twice a day.

2. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

get some empty 2 liter bottles fill with water and freeze, then put them in there for them to lay by, its keeping our alive.

3. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

I am in east central Oklahoma. I use frozen water bottles and I also use a mister when the heat is above 100 (finally found one at Atwoods). We have lost about 5 rabbits to the heat too. Good luck!

Woodsmokeinherhair!

4. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

I have lost close to 30 rabbits from the heat. I do put them in the shade and give them frozen water bottles. In the past month I have lost 27 rabbits, 2 dogs and 1 pig to the heat. Before yall say I need to get rid of my animals let me tell ya that this is the hottest year I ever remember and I have done the best I can do.

Amanda in SE Oklahoma

5. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

Amanda, this animal/homesteading thing for those of use who weren't born into it, is a learning experience. I am here because I have questions, and sometimes, I even get an answer that works for me!

I also know it is a bad feeling when animals die, and nobody deserves to be put down on top of the bad feelings that a person already has. I believe you did the best you could do, just as I did.

Now to get this back on topic, lol .... I know a woman in Kansas who uses a fan down the middle of her row of rabbits to keep them cool. We get enough wind here, I don't feel the need to incorporate that. But if the air is still where you are, you might try that.

Woodsmokeinherhair!

6. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Rabbits are cooled by 3 factors:
    Respiration, Ears and Nasal Mucosa.
    Rabbits are mostly cooled by the evaporation of moisture during respiration (breathing). Fans help this cooling process by speeding evaporation.
    Cooling also occurs through nasal mucosa (by air passing over mucous membranes).
    The ears are also important for cooling as the blood moves to the farthest (coolest) points away from the body core. Rabbits do not have functional sweat glands, and only loose a small amount of moisture through the skin due to perspiration. The rabbit’s fur further inhibits the process of the rabbit being able to cool itself by evaporation of moisture from the skin.
    Using a fan to keep the air moving is probably your best bet.
    You can also buy cheap floor tiles at the hardware and place them in the freezer.
    If you have a Tin roof you can squirt it down a couple times a day or use a sprinkler on it. Also a spray bottle to wet down the ears helps.

7. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

I would suggest cooling the environment as well as attempting to
    cool the rabbits. Prepare a frame around the rabbits where you
    can attach shade cloth. Use misters directly on the shade cloth.
    Anything to cool the air blowing across the rabbits should provide a
    bit of relief. A fan with a mister in front of it and blowing
    into the makeshift shelter will also help. Mist the rabbits,especially
    the ears, frequently during the day. Don't be afraid to dunk a
    heat stressed rabbit into a bucket of water. Placing wet sheets,
    blankets or towels over the cages and keeping them wet are other
    things used by people with rabbits housed in the open.

Some of the 4H kids will have fans on top of the cages pointed
    downward. At the top of the cage they will mount bottles of
    frozen water (using bungee straps) for the air to blow across.
    Not sure how effective this is.

Linda Welch
    Texas

8. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Woodsmoke I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. It seems like every time I post about one of my animals someone is telling me you need to get rid of them. I am learning as I go too. I enjoy these boards and have learned alot from this forum. I go to Eufaulla about every 2 weeks or so maybe one of these days we can get together.