Rabbits & Chickens & Goats

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by TxCloverAngel, Aug 23, 2005.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Ok, I have read posts from ppl who have chickens & rabbits together….
    Rabbits & goats together…..
    Chickens & Goats together (I do)…..

I had an idea…… why not Rabbits, Chickens & Goats together?

My hubby is extending the goat/chicken yard this week-end… I was thinking about building a rabbit colony. Anybody know any reason why it can’t be both?

A friend told me that she read somewhere that you can’t have chickens & rabbits together (something about chicken droppings giving rabbits upper resp probs?).

Any input would be great!!

2. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Chickens and rabbits together can cause a lot of disease in rabbits because the types of cocci that can incubate and pass through uneffecting the chicken can kill 50%+ of your young rabbits and some of your older ones too. They poop is how rabbits will ingest the cocci. I have all 3 types of them but the rabbits are in cages not with the chickens or the goats. Good luck.

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy I have bunnies, chickens and goats together and never had a problem yet....I do also keep bunnies seprate but i have a few bunnies that no matter what i do they escape or injure themselves so I put them in the goats pen....the only problem i have found is that my one bunnie big mamma thinks shes a goat...she will hop around with the goats and I have even seen her jump and sit on ones back while it was napping...they will also lay together in the colder months and snuggle......eat the same foods....now the chickens are free range but do have a coop in the goats shed where they come to nest and roost at night......I do once in a great moon see Big mamma chase a hen off but besides that never had any die, get sick, have any respitory problems......I have had these bunnies in the pen for about 3 years now....perhaps if it was a larger number of bunnies I would see some downfalls.......dale anne