Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me their experiences with mixing rabbits and fowl in the same pen? My free-range chickens used to congregate under the rabbit cages and eat the rabbit's leftovers and make dust-baths in the dry rabbit house. I'm going to switch to a mixed colony/cage system and I wonder if the chickens/geese/ducks/turkeys can be in the same space some or all of the time. I have plenty of room to keep them separate, but I notice that intensive multi-layered plant gardening (carrots under tomatoes, okra between rows of peas) works really well, so I wondered about doing it with animals.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Many people feed that rabbits and poultry are best kept separate, or at least that rabbits should be kept away from poultry droppings. I believe, however, that KSALguy has both rabbits and chickens together and has not had any problems. I'm kind of bumping this up, so that he has a chance to see it and comment if he wishes.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
yep my rabbits live in the chicken pen, they live in an underground warren under the coop and have had more litters in the last few months than i care to count,

i have had a few setbacks with getting the right fence setup and keeping dogs away and a hawk that made a mess of things but other than that there have been no problems with the chickens and rabbits shareing the same space, truth be told there is also Pigeons in this enclosure,

i just butcherd some of the rabbits this last week and there was no sign of illness in the internal organs the meat was great and the rabbits were nice and meaty,

i do put ACV in the water to help cut down on anything that might be a problem for the pigeons, i dont do it all the time but every once in a while it does a body good,

out of the three (Rabbits, Chickens and Pigeons) the pigeons are by far the more suseptable to things but that is normal, they would be that way if they had been kept by themself or other wise, the rabbits do great,

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
My coops and rabbitry is combined. The cages hang on the coops outside in the poultry pen and a hole is cut into the building for each cage to allow access to the inside compartment. The inside compartment has a wire front and is divided in half for a nesting/sleeping area and a feeding area. The rabbits use the outside cage to potty in and exercise. Outside the chickens stir up manure. Inside the chickens provide more heat in the winter to help keep water bottles from freezing down to around 20 degrees. The outside cages are enclosed with a tarp in the winter to keep wind from blowing through. Has worked out well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts