Rabbitry for sale -- I'm considering buying it

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by shelbynteg, Feb 25, 2004.

1. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Sure would appreciate advice. Spoke today with a fellow who is selling out of rabbits because of illness. He has about 100 rabbits (meat type, calif./nz mostly) and bout 20 4-animal cages(8 ft long). Presume there are waterers and feeders although we didn't discuss. Except for 2 rabbits, the rest are all are yearlings. He'll sell everything as a package for $600.

I would like about 20-25 rabbits, but this seems like a very attractive price to me. I've not had rabbits before. I want to raise them for meat. Anyone interested in splitting this package with me?? I'm in southeast Texas. Thanks for the advice.

2. Robin Pundzak

Robin Pundzak Active Member

Hi Shelby,
    I can help a little.
    If the 4-hole cages are 8 feet, then the individual holes are only 2 feet wide. That's pretty small. Mine are 30x36 for breeding does. Mine cost $12 each to make, not counting the feeders which I get from my feed store for $3.50. I bought a 12-foot, 4-hole cage that was in good condition with feeders for $40.
    If the 100 rabbits are all yearlings (meaning they are all 1 year old, or up to 1 year old?) except for 2, then are 20 of them doubled up in these cages? What condition are the cages in? Is the floor wire 1x1/2-it should be.

Some questions to ask:
    Is there an automatic water system? For 100 rabbits there should be.
    How many of the 100 are bucks? 1 buck for 10 does is good.
    Are they proven breeders?
    How many of the does are in production?
    Does he have production records for his herd?

My figures can be wrong, but I think an acceptable price for junior breeders is $10-15 and $20 for proven breeders. You should get a much better price for buying in quantity. Others will help out on this, I'm sure.

I guess the best advice I can give is to go slowly and get as much information as you can. Check the stock over carefully, looking at the condition of the animals: bony, fat, sore hocks, snuffles, etc.

3. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I agree with Robin,
    Check the cages if these are all yearling animals they should have their own cages. I also like to have the 30x 36" cages. When I figure used cage prices I figure $ 5.00 to $ 10.00 per hole (depending on if they have feeders, water system and condition). What is the condition of the animals? When did the does last kindle? If they have been out of production might be difficult to get them back into production. What are his records like. All things to look into before buying. Also it may be a good deal but be sure you want that many rabbits to start with? They will eat alot before you have anything ready for sale! If they arefor home use 3 does and a buck will give you more then enough for your family and friends!
    Denise

4. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Out of 100 rabbits, all are adults except 2? Unless he has younger
    rabbits not part of the package, I would think Robin and Denise are
    right on when they are suggesting that you look carefully at the
    production data. You know something? I bet you find that there
    isn't any data! I live about 150 miles north of Houston. I can't imagine
    someone having a large number of does in that area and being able
    to keep them "working". There is no processor he can sell to. In order
    to market home processed meat, he would have to be licensed by the
    state (or be illegal).

As Robin pointed out, the cage system leaves a lot to be desired. A
    24" x 24" cage is not appropriate for a meat breed doe, nest box
    and litter if, indeed, these does have been producing.

Perhaps I'm being overly suspicious but something doesn't sound kosher
    about this. :(

I certainly agree!

Anyway......good luck to you in your endeavor.

5. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I've decided its too much to take on, even if the price is attractive. Husband and I have agreed to start small, for our own use, and see how it goes. Does anyone feed dairy products to their rabbits? I don't know if they like milk.

Thanks for the excellent feedback, and I'll keep asking questions as they come up.

6. Plow Boy

Plow Boy Well-Known Member

You just made the smart move, start small, work your way up. Keep the most active biggest baby does from your litters.
    Start breeding them at 6 mo. old. Some breed back to the daddy buck, some will use a different buck, I've done both ways and it's up to you.
    Good luck and please keep us posted on how things are going.

Plow Boy