Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,630 Posts
I have used Ivermectin horse wormer paste. A pea size glob on a bit of bread, a second dose 14 days later. I didn't use this for worms but fur mites.

The best thing I found was an accident. I was eating roasted pumpkin seeds when my house bunny came up begging for some. I gave him a few. The next day he wanted more, so I gave him some. This went on for a few days. Then I noticed what looked like cooked rice in his poop. After doing a quick search I found it was intestinal worms and when they pass they are usually alive. The few I saw were dead. The rabbit seemed much more lively and acted like a young buck again. I did some searching and found that an old homeopathic cure for intestinal parasites is indeed, pumpkin seeds. Bought some and fed to the rest of the bunnies. Started seeing dead worms in the poop from a few of them. Now every fall I feed the rabbits a handful of pumpkin seeds every day for 2 weeks or longer. Haven't found any more worms since the first dose, but since I feed the rabbits some grass and low growing plants I want to prevent another infestation.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
How about treating for coccidia also .

Thanks , Patty

·
Premium Member
23,630 Posts
Don't know about coccidia. According to what little research I just did, coccidia cannot be medically treated, just left to run it's course. Maybe the black tea helps make the system resistant to coccidia. IDK, sorry.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Danaus29 said:
Don't know about coccidia. According to what little research I just did, coccidia cannot be medically treated, just left to run it's course. .
There are two types of coccidiosis to affect rabbits. During outbreaks
I have found it effective to treat to prevent future losses. I'm not
sure I could financially survive if I let it run its course and I lost
400 or 500 rabbits as a result. Because I sell for human consumption
and must report all medical treatment of fryers, all treatments are
prescribed by my DVM.

We strive for prevention but warm wet weather combined with
stress will often precipitate an outbreak.

Sorry for hijacking the "worm" thread.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
dlwelch said:
There are two types of coccidiosis to affect rabbits. During outbreaks
I have found it effective to treat to prevent future losses. I'm not
sure I could financially survive if I let it run its course and I lost
400 or 500 rabbits as a result. Because I sell for human consumption
and must report all medical treatment of fryers, all treatments are
prescribed by my DVM.

We strive for prevention but warm wet weather combined with
stress will often precipitate an outbreak.

Sorry for hijacking the "worm" thread.
I don't think you're hijacking at all. Parasites are parasites.

What does your vet prescribe for coccidiosis? I seem to recall the vets using some sort of flavored liquid for coccidia in dogs back in the olden days...

Coccidia (and other parasites) sure do look interesting under the 'scope -- but they're miserable when your animals have them!

Pony!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Piperazine 17% or Wazine can be used to treat pinworms - you can get it from Jeffers or your feedstore. You add it to their water for 5 days. We have also used the Ivermectin horse wormer paste.

For coccidia you can use corrid and can get it at your feedstore or from KW cages. Keep the rabbit Hydrated If you have to force liquids.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Am I supposed to do a routine worming for my rabbits? I would suppose my breeding stock might need it occasionally.

·
Registered
865 Posts
For coccidia you use Sulmet. It is the same liquid you use for chickens.
I think you use the chicken dosage but can't remember how many days. You just mix it into their water.

You only want to treat them once or twice a year to prevent liver (I think) damage.

I didn't know about the pumpkin seeds. Awesome!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
hi new here
when i butcher my rabbits i look at the organs because i think i would be able to see cocci..or something.. can you see it or am i fooling my self?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
SILEIGH said:
hi new here
when i butcher my rabbits i look at the organs because i think i would be able to see cocci..or something.. can you see it or am i fooling my self?
one type of cocci can be seen as white spots or lumps in the liver. The intestinal type probably would need a lab test to find it.
If your rabbits are growing and producing well your OK. One symptom that is common is an over sized belly on fryer rabbits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts