rabbit with sores on mouth and foot

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by sunshine estate, May 18, 2006.

1. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I have a fairly new male dwarf mix - my intention for him is to breed to my unrelated dwarf mix female for the pet market. I and one of my friends checked him out pretty good before I bought him. He was in quarantine for about a month.

A few days ago, I noticed a sore on his lower lip and also noticed that one of his feet looked injured...I decided to keep an eye on this; he's caged next to another male and I thought that he might be trying to fight - or that a predator had injured him (although I couldn't see how, the cage is "tight").

I hadn't been able to check him closely lately, but today I noticed something next to his nose, it looks like a big scab, about half the size of a marble, and when I picked him up to look more closely, I found that his lower lip has eroded, like something is slowly eating it away...and there's still a raw spot on one foot. He doesn't act "depressed", his appetite is good and he's active. The erosion on his lower lip is not affecting his ability to eat or drink, but that will happen if whatever it is doesn't stop.

Researching the web has not produced anything that really looks or sounds like this, except for some kind of infection (I don't remember what they called it, I looked at so many places) that might have gotten into some broken skin areas...something that sounds like staph from the description.

I have a vet friend who might be willing to sell me some penicillin for him...but if this doesn't work real quick, I'll slaughter him and toss the carcass (garbage, I guess.) My biggest concern is that he's been bred to two does recently...and they're still nursing their previous litters, so I could lose about 13 or 14 if I have to cull out all the exposed rabbits...

2. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

Check him for vent disease. That can cause sores on the mouth, and other parts of the body. The pen g injectible should clear it right up.

3. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

I would also treat the does and babies too, once they are old enough. Vent disease can lie dormant, and still spread.