Rabbit with frozen foot...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by TheDerek, Dec 31, 2017.

1. TheDerek

TheDerek Well-Known Member

Its cold as a witches tit here and somehow one of my rabbits got its foot frozen to its water bowl when I watered them yesterday. It went unnoticed until this morning when I went to water/feed them again. I was able to use warm water to unthaw it but Im pretty sure its frozen, -25 here right now... Any suggestions to help this animal? Will it recover, should it be put down? Wait a week to see if its limping or sick? Not sure how to determine the extent of the injury... Thanks for any help. My kids would be sad if it had to be ended, but I dont want it to suffer unnecessarily either.

2. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

Any way to get the rabbits area warmer ? If outside, throw a tarp over the cages.

If using a metal pan, switch the dish out to a crock or pottery of some kind.

Mine are in a room attached to our garage. I can control the rain and snow and wind,
    but not the temperatures. In this cold weather, I try to water 3x a day. Frozen dishes :(

Just do a wait and see with this rabbit. He may heal but probably will have a limp.
    If it doesn't look well, you may have to put him down. But do give the animal a chance.
    They amaze us sometimes.

no really and arnie like this.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Put a tarp over the cages and run some light bulbs beneath the tarp.
    Putting them inside clay flower pots helps protect them and allows them to radiate more heat.

Switch to water bottles instead of bowls
    I'd watch the foot closely for signs of frostbite and go from there.

4. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

Water bottles are not much good during this cold spell. 2 weeks not getting above freezing.

5. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

They have electric water bottles.

6. Bearfootfarm

They just have to be changed often.
    Or hang light bulbs next to the bottles.

7. ladytoysdream

Water bottles are not feasible in this cold if animals are outside in a building.
    I only use them in the good weather to make sure a doe with babies has enough
    to drink. Heavy bowls work the best in the cold. I have metal dishes also but have
    to watch them in the Winter. In my setup, I have stackers. 3 high. And many
    cages. Only one light bulb and that is the one in the ceiling.

8. wraith

wraith Member

I have a heated water bottle and it works like a dream. -20F last night, only been a couple of degrees above zero, on a couple days, over the past week and the rabbit has had warm(ish) water the whole time.

9. ladytoysdream

That works for you. So , you have one bottle , one rabbit ? I hope the bunny is in a building.
    I have 30 plus cages in one room. Me changing out bottles several times a day is not a option here.
    Kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

10. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

11. wraith

wraith Member

Well pardon my 2 cents.....

12. Bearfootfarm

Then you should be able to heat the room.
    It doesn't have to be "warm" as long as it's above 32*

a7736100 likes this.
  13. wendlingfarms

wendlingfarms New Member

I feed my rabbits carrots and other veggies to off set the frozen water problem. Most rabbits will get enough fluid from carrots to survive. 5#’s of carrots at Walmart $3.12 last 1 week for 8 rabbits. Has worked for me for 3 years now. Next year 2 rows of carrots covered with straw in the garden so I don’t buy them.

a7736100 likes this.
  14. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

Can a rabbit tongue be frozen to the metal nipple when it's really cold?

15. Bearfootfarm

That's possible if it's cold enough.
    It could also happen with a bowl.
    As long as it's warm enough that the water is liquid it won't happen.

16. TheDerek

TheDerek Well-Known Member

Update, not really an update. When I watered my rabbits, 2 were outside their shelter boxes to get water and happy to get some food/treats. The one with the foot issue was in its little house and didnt come out at all. This is unusual because its normally the most friendly one and is always out when I give them water. I reached in and petted it a few seconds and its alive. Gonna warm up here a lot in the next couple days so will be interesting to see if she comes out and is limping or whatever.

17. ladytoysdream

Highly unlikely. The room is not insulated. Has a metal roof, with the trusses showing.
    Walls are wood. No insulation. It is a add on room to the garage. It is 32 ft long and 12 feet wide. One half is storage. Dirt floor. My rabbits have nest boxes to sit in to keep them off the wire floors. All stackers with drop pans. I don't breed in the winter, as I don't plan on losing any litters. These rabbits are pet size and not meat rabbit size. I sold all my Californians and NZ's that I used to sell for breeding stock.

It was all storage till I moved stuff around and put the rabbits in there. Started with only 3 mini rex and next thing I know, I am back playing with rabbits. A friend wanted me to raise pet rabbits for a pet store she was going to open. Well she could not get the funding and I had already started breeding more than I normally would. Next thing I knew, I was building cages again.

18. MTplainsman

MTplainsman North of the Hi-Line

I've had it -43 in my fully enclosed rabbit house years ago. I've had as many as 100 does in an unisulated building, and with extra care during extreme weather, they do very well. I don't recall ever having parts on a rabbit frozen inside a completely sealed shed, but it has probably happened though. Large breed rabbits can take cold that will make a man cringe. When I knew the temps were gonna plummet, I took action right away. My plan of attack before auto watering and heat, was very simple and very effective... I took a flattened wad of straw, hay, alfalfa, what ever I had, and placed it in the far back corner of the cage for a resting pad. Sure they might crap on it a little, or even eat it up or it eventually sifted it's way through the wire bottom to the shed floor. I didn't care, cause as long as you keep a full hopper of feed and have a hay rack loaded for them, it seemed to last all day. The secret to extreme cold and wire cages is this... the coldest air hangs out from the building's floor and up through the wire cage bottom. So, by the simple placement of a square foot of straw or hay in a corner, it formed a barrier from the bottom and allowed the rabbits body temp to keep caught up with itself. Big deal if you had to replace it with new and pull out the old every once in awhile, cause it was like "gold in the cold!"

As far as water, ya... ditch the water bottles. Not saying the heated types wouldn't work up here, but I wouldn't bank on them keeping their end of the deal for months on end, nor would I want to pay the bill to run any for more than a few cages. So, before the insulation and the heat... I managed about of 100 does all winter long with water bowls! It was a p.i.t.a but I made it work. It wasn't long and I ditched the steel anti-tip bowls and switched to crocks or ceramic bowls. I learned quickly that the standard crock with its sharp corners was a no go. Couldn't pop the ice out of them without smashing them to pieces, and they were expensive! So knowing that a bowl with round bottom would release the ice mass with a couple taps, I found a cheap alternative. I visited a Walmart over West one time, and found heavy ceramic cereal bowls. I bought everything they had and even the ones in there warehouse. These proved to be the best I ever found for freezing temps that didn't break me. I didn't have a lot of tipping of the bowls when it was super cold, cause they didn't play around alot. No skin off their tongues, they didn't dent, they released the ice mass with out too much effort, and they lasted me for many winters until I upgraded. Sorry for being windy, just trying help, Joel

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    arnie likes this.
  19. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

i'm courious as to how the rabbit has progressed or not ?