Rabbit water bottle

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thefarm, Nov 13, 2004.

1. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

Hello we live in Maine and we have freezing weather now. How do you keep a water bottle for the rabbits not to freeze? We have a good size pen for them with lots of hay. Brenda

2. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

I have extra water bottles and replace the frozen ones with fresh water each morning and evening. From what I have read, access to fresh water for 10 - 15 minutes, two times a day, will be fine during the winter. I vactioned in Maine this summer and thought it was wonderful. But, I guess I couldn't handle freezing weather in early Nov any better than you could handle 100 degree weather and 90% humidity in August :) Hope you have a good winter.
    Sarah in Arkansas

3. dmp437

dmp437 Member

We switch from bottles to plastic crocks (bowls) for winter. That way we can flip them upside down and get the frozen water out before re-filling.
    The plastic bowls are much cheaper than our flip top water bottles, and more durable in the cold. We have 70-80 rabbits so the double water bottle routine of the previous poster would be pretty expensive for us.

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I agree, crocks are much, much easier. You can also bring out some hot water with you, and that way you don't have to use as much water, you just pour some hot over the ice and you have lukewarm water instead of icy cold. We always used heavy, metal crocks, but obviously this has it's disadvantages during cold weather! Most of our rabbits were in a heated barn, but I would suggest plastic for those who aren't. Of course, the ones in the heated barn had valves.

5. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

I'm going to try electric heat tapes this year if I can find short enough ones. Wrap them around the bottles, I guess.

6. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Water bottles have metal nozzles on them, right? What happens when you put your tongue on a cold metal pole during freezing weather? Believe it or not... it happens with rabbits, too! Best to just switch to crocks.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/