Rabbit treats

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by moopups, Aug 22, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What do you give them and how often? Do you supplement their diet with veggies? What do they need besides their pellets?

2. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

MItch- we are trying an experiment with some of ours. I have them all on alfalfa hay, free choice, along with pellets. I also give them fresh weeds/grass clippings several times a week. I am about to switch some of them over to a diet of hay, weeds/grass, and homegrown grains (wheat and oats) entirely, instead of the pellets. I want to be able to compare the two groups to see how production on the homegrown diet compares to those on the pellets. I occassionally give them some comfrey too, but not much yet as I want the plants to grow as much as possible this year- next year we will use more herbs and comfrey.

3. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

If quality commercial rabbit pellets are available, they don't really need anything else. The pellets contain a balanced diet and adding other food stuffs could upset that balance. We do rarely have to cut back the pellets and give hay to a rabbit that has soft poo. This is done to increase the fiber and is temporary. We find this with one or two young rabbits per year. Does sometimes get soft poo after they kindle. This has always cleared up within a week without a change in diet. When in season we sometimes treat them with a very small amount of blackberry leaves. We know these leaves are not sprayed as they come from our backyard. We never give them anything else from the yard as we don't want them to pick up parasites. Also, as stated above, we don't want to upset the balanced diet they get from the pellets.

Good luck,

MikeL

4. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

BearCreek -- fascinating. I'd love to know what happens and how it all works.

We feed pellets, but give them an apple occasionally. Before pellets folks had to mix their own feed and the rabbits were healthy. I hope to try someday, myself. We also feed hay as mentioned in other posts.

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Mine don't each much except lots and lots of timothy hay. I do give them garden treats/scraps - lettuce leaves, carrots, apple scraps, celery stalk/leaves, that sort of thing. Anything different seems to be appreciated.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Well, like Micheal Leferink said, treats really aren't *necessary*, but I don't think it'll hurt your rabbits or mess up their diet if you don't OVERDO it.

Good timothy hay is an excellent "treat", and like several of you have said, hay is great for firming up soft stools. Rolled oats will also do the same thing and is especially useful to give young litters when they first start eating solids. Some show breeders also give their show bunns sunflower seeds and Calf-Manna for that "extra edge", but you have to be careful with those because they're so rich. Plus the oil in sunflower seeds and the high protein in Calf Manna WILL turn your rabbits into little sumo wrestlers if you aren't careful. Neither Calf Manna nor sunflower seeds is necessary for a meat herd.

Mine really enjoy untreated grass/weeds, and I've also given them apple, carrots, and raspberry/blackberry leaves. They hardly ever get that, however. The basic diet is GOOD QUALITY commercial pellets. All of them get a bit of rolled oats nearly every day for a treat, and the show bunns get a little bit of sunflower seeds and Calf Manna. Stay away from iceberg head lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, and cherry wood sticks.