Rabbit tractor problem

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pjd, Apr 20, 2005.

1. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

I have been experimenting with raising rabbits in a pen/tractor. I removed the buck after two weeks. One of the rabbits dug out and had her babies in the yard and the dog got them. The other three had theirs in the pen but they disappeared without a trace. I first thought they had eaten them but there was no blood or anything. My daughter caught a 5 ft long black rat snake in the pen next to theirs so I am assuming it was the snake that got them. I am building a new pen with a wire floor where I can observe the babies better. Who would have thought a snake? Its mate was caught in the hen house eating eggs!

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Maybe give the does a cage to kindle in, or make the wire smaller? I doubt I would have thought of snakes- but we don't have any around here.

3. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

I"m going to be "tractoring" rabbits this summer, but it will be limited to my fryers that I'm growing out. I figure I'll keep them in there from weaning to 5 lbs, then butcher or sell. I don't think I'd do the adults long-term, though. The just keep working until they figure out how to get out. Just one guy's opinion.

Tim

4. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I'm new to this, what exactly does it mean to raise rabbits in/with a tractor?

sorry no advice!

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

A tractor isn't a tractor. I mean, when you're referring to a rabbit or chicken tractor, it's an enclosure on the ground that you can move around. A grazing ark, if you like.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

"Rabbit tractor"--portable pen used in pastured rabbit production. Rabbits are moved to new ground quite often, every other day or maybe as much as once or twice a day.

In some systems, chicken wire is layed out flat on the ground at the beginning of the season, the grass grows up between the wire, then the rabbits are put in a floorless pen and moved over the area. Chicken wire is used to prevent the rabbits digging out. In other methods, the pen has something like 2" X 4" fence wire on the bottom of the pen to give the same effect as the chicken wire.

A detailed scientific study of pastured rabbit (comparing performance of entirely pasture raised rabbits, rabbits born in a commercial barn and finished on pasture, and rabbits born and raised in a commercial barn--all fed free choice pelleted feed) was published in the April, 2004 issue of the PRMA Journal, the publication of the Professional Meat Rabbit Association. Back issues are available online at www.prma.org in the *members only* section. You may be able to purchase hard copy back issues too, not sure.