Rabbit toys

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Meg Z, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'm looking for new ideas for rabbit toys. My angoras like to have something to play with. They flip their mats all over their cages. They also have plastic wiffle balls, which they like to push and roll all over the cages. But, they could use something new. I'd like to be able to change out the toys regularly, so it's not quite so boring. Ideas?

Meg

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine like an empty tuna can or a paper towel roll. :)

There used to be a kind of cat toy, a wire ball with a pompom-jingle bell inside, that my son's pet rabbit, Buffy, loved. We took out the pompom-bell thingy to make it safer and she played basketball by the hour - slam dunk into her water crock. :bouncy:

I decided Buffy needed toys when I caught her playing a very peculiar game of her own invention. She was in a huge aquarium (2' x 4') and she cleared an arena in the shavings right down to the glass and then rolled "bunny berries" around with her nose. :cute:

Another thing rabbits really love is music. Soft, romantic music especially. Buffy used to swoon for Unchained Melody - or anything Righteous Brothers - and my current Angoras love all the sappy love songs like Lady in Red etc. Soft classical goes down well too. :sing:

3. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

We gave our Chins and Cals fist sized plastic jingle balls. We found htem at a "save-A-Lot" Store at 3 for a $1. I think they are supposed to be a cat toy. We got 6 to try out and will be going back for more. They run them all over their cages :) I have seen people at the shows with baby rattles in their buns cages. I also remember giving a popcan to a pet bun we had years ago.

4. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

If you want to see a rabbit go nuts and make a huge mess give them an old phone book. (wait until your angoras are cut back.)

My angoras also have

baby keys
    baby chain links
    practice golf balls
    baby teathers (hard plastic ones)
    wood blocks

I rotate the toys.

5. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

pine cones, wooden thread spools, empty toilet paper rolls, pot pie tins

6. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Canning rings seem to be a favorite around here. I also give them cardboard to shred, well actually, I gave it to them to they could sit on it and get of the wire but they rather shred it. I make sure theres no staples, tape etc. on it and let them go to town. It gets replaced almost daily but I have people collecting it for me so it's ok. I got some cheap parrot bells and they like them too. Funny, Sunfire tends to ring hers if she feels I'm a little to slow in getting around to feed her.

In the play area they like crumpled paper, plastic bottles with the tops on. Number one with a bullet is the box full of old towels and rags. I have a couple of golf balls they can roll around, too.

7. RiverPines

RiverPines Well-Known Member

Paper grocery bags!! Mine play in them just like cats do!!! :)
    When the play is done, they rip them up, not like cats!! LOL

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Ahhhh....many good suggestions...thanks everyone. My rabbits will appreciate it!

Meg

9. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi , Mine like the old golf balls and the small empty mushroom bits cans ,, when I put a nestbox in sometimes the does will put the cans in the box :p

I also went to Walmart in the kids ball section there is a 'open' type rings hard rubber ball called .. Knobbly Wobbly for 88c ea. .. went to sewing dept , bought a sm bag of 35 bells for $1.79 -+ ... I bought 6 balls that time ... went back later and bought extra balls and I still have some bells left ..

cost for the first 6 balls + bells was less than the price of a similar cat toy ball at pet store for $7.99 each !

I have also bought the heavy hanging chain / bell on bottom parrot toy ,, one with different size / colored wood blocks fruit flavored .. or similar type ,, mine will knock the chains around to make the bell jingle and I can see where they have nibbled on the wood pieces ....

I also have one of those big 'open' plastic rings with balls inside cat toy .. I move it between the different cages to give them something different to play with ..

I've 'thought' about buying one for each of my 3 rabbits but haven't done that yet lol ....

10. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I like to get Burger King kids meal sometimes because it is the right size for me AND the little plastic toy is usually perfect for the rabbits to play with. Bright colors and not too thin.