Rabbit toys suggestions please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Caelma, May 18, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Other than untreated wood to chew on
    and of course treats of carrots, grass, etc.
    Whht kind of 'safe' toys can I provide my rabbits?
    We have so many wild bunnies and I watch them play and frolic.
    I love my bunnies but feel bad cause they sit in a cage all day.
    Cages are spacoius, but......
    Even my fryer breeders, I would like to give them
    things to play with and occupy their time.
    Thank you for any suggestions.

Also are just any tree branches ok for them or are
    certain kinds not good, or better than others?

2. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I got a couple of hard plastic baby toys from WalMart. They enjoy throwing them around in their cages and I haven't seen any damage to them. They've had them since December. They have a ring and some movable things on it... Callie especially seems to enjoy hers.

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I was in a pet store and saw a hard rubber open 'ball' w a bell inside ,, was in the 99c box ,, got upfront was told no $6.99 each ,,

Went to wallmart a few days later spotted same type open 'ball' slightly bigger ,, in the kids department in a box of other balls ,, no bell

Nobbly Wobbly at .88c each ,, craft dept 35 bells for $1.67

I got 6 'balls' and a bag of bells for $6.94 lol ,,, went back to walmart the next week and bought 4 more ,, might get some more ,, at that price I might stock up ,, have had them in the cages for about a month now and there has beed very little wear ,,

I 'hear' the bells so I know that some of the rabbits play with them ,,

4. ushillbillies

ushillbillies Member

Hello--
    I have found that just like a child prefers to play with an oversized cardboard box than the most expensive toy--bunnies can be very cheaply satisfied. We have been raising bunnies for almost 3 years and we have yet to spend any money on toys. They love to play with a balled up piece of plain paper. They love to tear up stuff, especially cardboard. Give them just a big square of plain cardboard or a cardboard flat (like what holds canned goods for example.) Plain brown paper bags are great. They crawl inside and smash, then tear it up. We save all of our toliet paper and paper towel rolls. They really enjoy it when I stick/jam the roll through the side or top of the cage. They have to really pull on the roll to get it out. Sometimes I stick them through from one cage to another so that two bunnies are both pulling on it. Makes for a little more of a challenge and that way the bunnies have more interaction with each other. Or, I stuff straw in the center with straw and just let them have it. We also save all of our juice concentrate lids (the metal top and bottom) they love to throw it around and make noise with them. The lids last forever, the paper products are extra fiber and will help keep your bunny "regular". We keep our herb garden regularlly trimmed back and all of the extra trimmings that we don't use in the kitchen go to the bunnies. Here is a link to an excellent site that lists poisonous plants and safe bunny plants. 3 B's Rabbitry They also have a toy section and many other helpful pages and links.

I have heard of folks giving their bunnies aluminum cans, ping pong balls and junk mail. I don't know how good these things are for them. We have never done it. I have been told they will eat the entire aluminum can and it won't hurt them, but.......They will also eat the ping pong ball or just about anything plastic and again..... I also have reservations about all of the dyes in junk mail. Try searching the web. Wow! I have really rambled on. Sorry about that. Well good luck. Let us know what happens.

Sincerely--Bobbie

5. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

Tuna fish can makes a lot of noise an they have fun

6. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

One of my rabbits has a whiffle ball (sp?), it's her favorite toy. She picks it up and carrries it around her cage.

7. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I think I'm also going to make some playpens.
    Cage wire in a circle.
    J-clip on a bottom and a top, add a door.
    If I make 10 or so of these I can
    Have 10 playing at one time.
    My yard just around the house is about an acre maybe
    larger, I mow but don't use fertileizers or anything.
    So no matter where I place them will be safe.

8. castiglione

castiglione Member

As mentioned before, boxes, toilet paper rolls, anything they can toss around, go into and out of and chew are good toys. You're right about simple things being good toys for kids as well - I had a lot of fun when I was a kid with a few big boxes, some chairs and a blanket - voila, I had my own fort! Or my own tank! Or my own...

They also sell these balls which you stuff with "treats" (veggie balls?" which are supposed to be good. Basically, the rabbit bats the ball around and either gets the treats to fall out or pulls them out himself.

9. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Tuna fish cans are loved at my bunny barn too. Deeper cans can run the risk of a stuck head. They also love to hop up on to the shelf I made it the corner. It is a piece of 1/2"x1" about 12" x 8" I think...wide enough so they don't have to squeeze on it...wire just like what it on the cage bottom and I put it up in a corner where they can still have head space and clip it on the 2 sides to the wall of the cage and hang a wire down to catch the front corner of the shelf that is in the open part of the cage. They LOVE to hop up there and survey their kingdom and it is very good for them to do this and exercise other muscles that don't get much work out in a flat cage.

10. CountryLady

CountryLady New Member

Our English/Satin Angora loves canning jar rings, but his favorite toy is his stuffed rabbit wearing bunny slippers. Its really precious, and white like he is. He licks its face and tosses it in the air, and runs around it.