rabbit takes 2 days at least

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherryR, Mar 27, 2006.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

my rabbit began labor on or around 24 march- we saw blood, just before I shut the lights off. . . I assumed she was going into labor. Next morning, nothing. Later that evening, I saw liquid, watery stuff. Figured there'd be kits by next morning. Nothing. Went out this morning, saw she'd had one deformed one, didn't see anything else. Came back later, a baby on wire, nothing else. She still looks pregnant. She hadn't yet cleaned herlself up, so maybe she has more . . . not experienced enuf to say either way. What should I do? I have nothing to help expell. This is a very long labor in my limited experience.

Any advice? She's a 1st time mom, too. I brought her in rinsed off her behind w/ warm water. Put cage in basement.

Do you have experience with this? Aside from putting hand up birth canal, how else can I check? Not good a t palpatating.
    Sherry

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

How is she doing?

I saw your post earlier but as I have nothing better to give than moral support, I waited, hoping someone else would know what, if anything, can be done for her.

Is she eating, drinking, pooping, acting normal? Watch her ears and nose to judge alertness and/or possible distress. Some rabbits grind their teeth when in pain and some do it when they are content - rather as it is with purring in a cat. But under these circumstances, I would think it would indicate discomfort. If she likes music, you could put some on for her, soft and gentle. It sometimes soothes rabbits.

Sorry I can't give you any better advice. I'd be inclined to think after almost three days she must be finished. There is no chance that she got pregnant a second time while carrying the first litter, is there? There was a thread about that before the Crash.

3. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Thank you Maggie,
    no she's not been rebred; I have watched her the last few hours, and she seems perfectly at ease. I hope I'm right. She is in cage in basement, now. Checked on her a few minutes ago, she's sitting there, looking perky. Guess it's ok!
    Sherry

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope so! Does often have problems with their first pregnancies... Hope she'll do better next time. Please post how she is doing in a couple of days.