Rabbit tails

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by doodlemom, Aug 21, 2006.

1. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

In the 1980's when pet rocks were popular there was a guy who made and sold adorable googley eyed pom-pom nosed removeable rabbit tail pencil toppers at fairs some natural some dyed, rabbit fur flies for fishing, amusing dolls with rabbit fur cave man clothes, rabbit fur beaded jewlery with porcupine quill beads and pheasant feathers. He said people threw blankets over porcupines to get quills-they don't get hurt. I wanted to buy his rabbit tail pom-pommed croched hat, glove, and scarf set, but alas not enough money as a teenager. I kept my pom-pom pencil toppers through highschool and college. My kids finally destroyed them. Anybody know an easy way to debone a tail to make a pom-pom? What would be the right tanning solution? I was going to go with the 1/2 cup pickling salt, 1/2 cup alum, 1 galon water to 3 hides recipe I got from a book. Any suggestions for cheap and practical home dyes?Nevermind the rabbit tail poms- I would like to learn to make regular rabbit hide poms as they sell for 626.40 as string of 72 on e bay

2. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

lol .... I'll be following this thread too .... when we got rabbits, I wondered about the rabbit feet key chains ..... and if that was possible, lol (I think they are artificial rabbits feet nowadays, lol) ...... If I am gonna skin them rabbits, I really feel like I should do something with the fur.

Woodsmokeinherhair!

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I have been watching your thread to see if anyone had responded. I would think that while dressing the rabbit that instead of cutting the bone in the tail into and then pulling the skin over the body that you could probably pull the bone out of the tail while attached to the skin. I have 4 that I have to butcher this weekend and will give it a try and post my results.

4. doodlemom

I bought a book the ultimate guide to skinning and tanning by Monte Burch and he adresses that problem by splitting the length of the tail and then removing the bone as with a raccoon. I just got it from amazon.com.I never thought of using regular hair dye that is sold for women and men, but that can be used and there's a toothbrush technique for just darkening tips of hair(not in book) as well as using cutout tinfoil spots and a little dye brushed on to simulate wild cat patterns or stripes for "tiger". A dye painting can actually be made on a fur canvas. I like to tie dye t-shirts with the kids...hmmmm... :shrug:

5. farmer brad

farmer brad Member

I cut around the base of the tail and start rolling it back. The rabbits I have work with the hide pulls right off . just take you time and roll it down slow

6. doodlemom

That Makes More Sense Than Splitting And Then Reseaming. Now I'm Wondering How To Make Them Lucky Rabbits Feet. All I Know Is That The Left Hind Foot Is The Lucky One And The Key Chain Toppers Are Sold Seperately. Do They Just Dry Them, Tan Them- What's The Story With That?

7. doodlemom

8. doodlemom