Rabbit Sneezing

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kisota, May 30, 2005.

1. kisota

kisota Active Member

Dear Friends,
    I have a Rabbit :waa: :waa: (6 Weeks Old) in with 13 more, the same age, (Fryers). This Rabbit is sneezing consistantly. Can someone give me a clue as what is the matter, and should I destroy the rabbit, because it may have a disease, and give it to my other rabbits?

Thanks
    Kisota (Worried)

2. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it could be the snuffles?
    If so, it is very contagious.
    I'm new so not much help!
    Sorry!

Lori

3. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

Is there any color discarge? Are the front feet matted? If so then yes it may be snuffles. Yes it is contagious but it is not what kills your buns. usually a secondary illness is what does them in. With out knowing a little more I can't be sure. Danae

4. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

I would suggest to seperate the whole group from any other rabbits you have until you determine the problem. Wouldn't do any good to just seperate the one rabbit because he probably has already shared what ever he has, and you will be butchering in a few weeks anyway. You just don't want to infect the rest of your herd. How long has he been sneezing? Did it just start, or has it been going on awhile? More than likely it is snuffles and besides being very contagious, it is incurable.
    Randy

5. kisota

kisota Active Member

I just noticed it a couple of days ago. He doesn't sneeze all the time, but does a lot.

Kisota

6. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is just a thought...if I had a rabbit sneezing I would isolate it FAR away from the others and treat it with Grapeseed Extract...10 drops per gallon of water for 10 days...by then you will either see it recover or get worse and then I would put it down. If there isn't discharge from the nose or on it's paws where it's been wiping the nose there is still hope. The GSE has really been a lifesaver for me at times. A good website for all it's wonderful uses is www/pureliquidgold.com GREAT stuff! Hope the bunny recovers!

7. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

Also remember to wash your hands after handling the potentially sick rabbits before touching any healthy rabbit and its cage and surroundings.

8. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Any change...good or bad...in your rabbits??? Hopefully for the good???

9. kisota

kisota Active Member

Thanks for asking, Yes I have checked about 5 or 6 times everyday, since I wrote and he is not sneezing anymore and hasn't since I wrote. I think it was just some dust from the feed that got in his nose. I Isolated him from the others and check him all the time. He is lively, Eats good, drinks plenty of water, so I think I got scared for nothing, Thank Goodness.

Kisota