Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, apparently the leader of our 4-H rabbit club was confused about the show we went to last night. It wasn't all meat pens like she thought. As a matter of fact, all the rabbits there were show rabbits. They allow meat pens, but no one was showing any.

The show was a lot more low-key than I expected, with everyone crowding around the judging table. I didn't get the judge's name, but she's probably in her late 40s or early 50s, with long brown/grey hair. She did a good job of explaining what she was doing, what she was looking for/at and why. The grand champion was a chocolate satin, and the reserve grand champion was a NZW.

There were several Netherland Dwarfs for sale at the show, but those are too small for my purposes, at least right now. I did get a lead on a NZW breeder near me, as well as another recommendation for a Cal breeder I already have a phone number for.

The best part was that DH went with me, and is starting to get more interested in rabbits and other animals (up 'til now it's been just me and the kids). He's still trying to get over the dispatching thing (he accidentally ran over some baby cottontails with the lawn mower several years ago and still can't get that scream out of his head). In addition, our progress toward homesteading and self-sufficiency is coming a little too fast for him to process, but he's getting there.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
He's still trying to get over the dispatching thing (he accidentally ran over some baby cottontails with the lawn mower several years ago and still can't get that scream out of his head).
I can only imagine how upsetting this must have been for him. :(

Properly done, dispatch day should not be anywhere near so traumatic. The rabbits are calm because they do not have any idea what will happen and have always had good treatment. The method -- whether broomstick, bopping, or shooting -- is quick and clean so the rabbit has no time to feel/process pain before the lights go out. It's never pleasant, of course -- nor should it be -- but it doesn't have to be horrible either.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Well, apparently the leader of our 4-H rabbit club was confused about the show we went to last night. It wasn't all meat pens like she thought. As a matter of fact, all the rabbits there were show rabbits. They allow meat pens, but no one was showing any.

The show was a lot more low-key than I expected, with everyone crowding around the judging table. I didn't get the judge's name, but she's probably in her late 40s or early 50s, with long brown/grey hair. She did a good job of explaining what she was doing, what she was looking for/at and why. The grand champion was a chocolate satin, and the reserve grand champion was a NZW.

There were several Netherland Dwarfs for sale at the show, but those are too small for my purposes, at least right now. I did get a lead on a NZW breeder near me, as well as another recommendation for a Cal breeder I already have a phone number for.

The best part was that DH went with me, and is starting to get more interested in rabbits and other animals (up 'til now it's been just me and the kids). He's still trying to get over the dispatching thing (he accidentally ran over some baby cottontails with the lawn mower several years ago and still can't get that scream out of his head). In addition, our progress toward homesteading and self-sufficiency is coming a little too fast for him to process, but he's getting there.
Heh, NDs wouldn't be much for meat.... and, at least years back, they were the meanest rabbits around. That has probably been bred out of them by now.

Sorry you didn't find any stock... hopefully you made some contacts.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
I can only imagine how upsetting this must have been for him. :(

Properly done, dispatch day should not be anywhere near so traumatic. The rabbits are calm because they do not have any idea what will happen and have always had good treatment. The method -- whether broomstick, bopping, or shooting -- is quick and clean so the rabbit has no time to feel/process pain before the lights go out. It's never pleasant, of course -- nor should it be -- but it doesn't have to be horrible either.
I know it is quick, and probably painless, but it still gives me the willy's.... I wished you lived closer... I would "dispatch" your chickens if you would "dispatch" my bunnies. ~:

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
I posted on the forum a while back about my first time "doing in" a chicken - which at least insured I'd never have a problem with it again, but I still hate doing rabbits. I need a pellet gun. I couldn't broomstick one.

But they are so delicious! And so much easier to clean and cut up then a chicken. And you get a fur!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts