rabbit repro problems

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherryR, Apr 3, 2006.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hi,
    someone gave me a pet rabbit a while back a very sweet bunny, who probably wondered what happened when she came here . . . . she is care about and cared for, but isn't a pet in the same way. My kid breeds rabbits for show. Anyway, we bred her which was a mistake. There was a long and strange labor, and she ended by eating some kits (dont know how many).
    Problem is-- for a few days she had smelly browninsh red discharge. Took her to vet ( normally I dispatch rabbits who're sick, cant afford vet bills) and he's not a rabbit vet. Anyway, he gave oxycontin or oxy something and also 3 days of antibiotics. Seemed to be doing ok (at first, she didn't care that I injected her, but at last of the 3 days she was perky enough that she didn't resist, but didn't care for it) The last 2 or 3 weeks she's eaten a little pellet, but much hay. Now her poops have returned to normal, but very tiny, but I saw today, she has fresh red blood, & poops sticking to fur. She seems a little thinner, but I guess that's normal for one who delivered, and was sick. Please do you have any advice? I cant take back to vet-- ($48 !!!!) again. I like her and want her to live--but what else can I do. Is this vaginal blood normal? Is it clearing out? I'm doing this for this bunny because she is sweet, but mostly because a lady gave her to me & I feel bad that this has happened. (have had some experience with rabbits who give birth--not tons of experience but it's happened quite a few times. Haven't had this experience before.) I swear I will never take another unwanted pet again! I feel too doggone guilty about this one! Any advice?

Sherry

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sherry, I didn't post about your rabbit because I didn't have anything useful to advise. But I can't help wondering how she is doing. Could you post an update for me? I really feel for you in this, not knowing how to help her. I always feel so helpless when something like this happens.

~ Maggie

3. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Well Maggie,
    she's eating mostly hay & some little bit of carrot or green I give her. Only a small amount of pellets. Doesn't seem to be losing weight . . . . craves petting & massage. (I do this because it might help her heal, maybe in some small way. Dont have lots of time just 4 or 5 minutes couple times day) She still has discharge of blood & a little of something. It's tapering off slowly. Poops are very small, but they are solid, not liquid. Probably small because she isn't eating many pellets, only hay, lots of it. She doesn't look to be in pain, but what the heck do I know.
    If I think she's suffering, I'll put her down.
    Sherry

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, it sounds as though she may slowly get back to normal. So difficult to know when a rabbit is in pain. They say tooth grinding can be an indicator, but rabbits also do this when they are content. (Like cats and purring... a sick cat will sometimes purr as a self-comforting mechanism.) I tend with rabbits to go a lot by their ears and posture, but it is hard to say exactly what I am looking for. How nice of you to pet and massage her! She's lucky to be in such good hands.